Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiring on Odesk is not worth it!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
41 of 47
I think many of the comments posted are simply unwarranted. I read the OP's post twice, and also, I've seen this same concern come up over and over again here and other online places. I used to hire here as well but haven't in ages, and let me just say: "I never paid peanuts or bananas," for anyone who might like to suggest that. I paid in the thousands for a site, only to finally just throw in the towel and move on. There are many, many, incapable programmers and coders working on this site, period. It's a fact. Now, the truth is that people come here to hire and save a little money, there's nothing wrong with it. We all like to save money, and we all look for savings if we're going to be honest. That shouldn't mean that someone does shitty work. No one is forced to take a job, they do it willingly. In that respect, if you don't like the wages, don't apply for the job. And if it isn't impacting you, why waste your time complaining about it? I've said before, there are wrongs on both sides of the spectrum. However, I don't think that throwing stones at the OP is the logical way to pursue a fix for the common problem here. That's how I see it.
Highlighted
Felipe G Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
42 of 47

You could have tried not being an idiot and expecting quality work for a wage nobody can live on. You get what you pay for, you see.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
43 of 47

" If you think a professional is expensive, wait until you hire an amateur"

I posted this recently here. It's a good motto to write down and keep handy when you're tempted to hire on the cheap. But then again, not everyone that has cheap rates will do that to you though.

My first job here was for 1.11 an hour. I wanted to get some hours under my belt and I worked that job like I was getting paid 20 bux an hour. USD. I knew that I was working too cheap.  I could have done the same quality of work that I saw his other freelancers do but I had some self-respect even if it was for that low a rate. He got an insane bargain with me on the team. You might get someone that was brand new like me that would have been willing to do all your work for dirt cheap and you would have been happy. Problem is people don't want to work for pennies for too long and they tend to get resentful and feeling taken advantage of.

So hopefully you will still hire from here and you will make sure to interview the right candidates. Try not to look for the freelancer with the lowest rates unless you have a few freelancers that piqued your interest who are actually professionals with different rates, then you can choose the candidate with the lowest price. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
44 of 47

This original thread is 1 1/2 years or more old. ???

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
45 of 47

its tuesday night. nothing on tv. Smiley Happy 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Beth T Member Since: Jan 18, 2015
46 of 47

It's still pertinent today--especially with what I've seen in recent months.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mario C Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
47 of 47

Your is not public but it would be very interesting to know how much did you pay per hour. Maybe you just got what you paid for.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS