cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hours Accumulated On Upwork

Ace Contributor
Pamela-anne K Member Since: Mar 16, 2014
1 of 8

Hi I was hoping that there could be some other way of tracking hours on Upwork for us freelancers that work not on hourly contracts but have certainly but many hours into working on Upwork doing set rate contracts.  I myself have been working through Upwork when it was Odesk since 2013 and I have certainly put many hours from then until now into working on contracts.  So the system as it stands does not acknowledge the hours that freelancers like myself have contributed into contracts that I have worked on for years through Odesk, and Upwork.  So my beef is when I see one job applications that I do not have enough accumulated "hours" this does not make me a real happy person rather frustrated because my work time is not getting the acknowledgement it deserves.  You should perhaps come up with a system that puts and average work time on set rate contracts by the amount of words.  Have a basic outline say 5K contract will equal four hours of work time accumulated.  I am sure that the Upwork team can come up with a fair system that will give all writers the acknowledgment of their accumulted hours that they deserve!

Thanks for reading, and hopefully coming up with a fair solution for all concerned!Smiley Happy

Community Leader
Fernanda M Member Since: Apr 10, 2016
2 of 8

Actually the Odesk app allowed you to track the time for fixed priced contracts. The time was tracked, but there was no amount charged to the client for hours worked, you could use it just as a backup for work done. However, your hours were in fact added to the amount of hours worked.

I don't know if this applies to the Upwork tracker, and I wouldn't dare to even try .... there's so many bugs in this system that I will not risk a good relationship with a client just for trying. 

Ace Contributor
Pamela-anne K Member Since: Mar 16, 2014
3 of 8

Hi Fernanda thanks for your response--I myself do not work hourly contracts I did a couple years ago, but now all my clients are fixed price contracts.  So I do not see a system that give any type of added hours working for upwork that I am aware of for fixed price contracts.  This effects writers like myself when we apply for jobs then we get a "don't have enought hours accumulated" to apply for this job--we can apply but that will show up as a negative on our proposals for jobs that request certain amount of hours on Upwork.  I have been working since 2013 steady full-time work so I should have enough hours by now accumulated in my fixed price contracts to make the time grade so to speak.

Thanks for your comment, it is much appreciated, I find some of the setups confusing in this system and frustrating thanks for your inputSmiley Happy  I didn't realize you could put hours worked when it was it used to be odesk--I never used it--I thought that it was only setup for hourly contracts.  It would be nice if upwork could come up with an average hourly scale according to length of fixed price projects to credit writers with so many hours worked per words for example say 5k contract would equal average: 4hours work that could be put into upwork system. 

Have a nice weekend and thanks for your support in my questionSmiley Happy

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
4 of 8

I usually work hourly contracts.  That being said, I decided to track my time last week on a small fixed price contract, using the Team App.  It worked.  If I were you, I would use it to keep track of hours worked on fixed price contracts and then include those numbers in your cover letter and your profile.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 8

Upwork does record manually tracked hours - but you have to really trust your client. (Those are the only hours showing on my profile. Smiley Happy) It annoys me that one gets no credit publicly for hours worked on fixed-rate jobs, but I have been awarded quite a few jobs simply by asking a client to judge for him/herself from my existing jobs or my experience.

Community Leader
Fernanda M Member Since: Apr 10, 2016
6 of 8

@Mary W wrote:

I usually work hourly contracts.  That being said, I decided to track my time last week on a small fixed price contract, using the Team App.  It worked.  If I were you, I would use it to keep track of hours worked on fixed price contracts and then include those numbers in your cover letter and your profile.

So you were able to track the time and the client was not over-charged, right?

Sorry, but I want to be very sure before trying that myself Cat Embarassed 

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
7 of 8

Right.  The hours are there but I got paid the first milestone, not the hours logged.  I was curious to see how long the assignment took versus my hourly rate.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
8 of 8

I use a Google app to track my fixed price time and then transfer the data to a spreadsheet. (I like to do comparisons, etc.)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS