🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How do I issue a refund?
Page options
gaucho76
Community Member

How do I issue a refund?

I'm trying to refund a client, but I can't find a way to do so. I can't delete hours because it was last week, and I tried to follow instructions on this page, to no avail. I don't even have the same options as the screen captures on that Help page (I assume it's outdated), so no idea how to do it.

Any help?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Fabio, (and Petra!), 

I'm sorry I missed this crucial information. The contract is through an agency contract which is why you are unable to refund the client through your freelancer account. If you go through the agency context of your account, you should be able to see the "three button-menu" and be able to refund the client from there. 

Let me know if this isn't the case for you and I'll assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Fabio D wrote:

I'm trying to refund a client, but I can't find a way to do so. I can't delete hours because it was last week, and I tried to follow instructions on this page, to no avail. I don't even have the same options as the screen captures on that Help page (I assume it's outdated), so no idea how to do it.

Any help?

Go to "My Jobs"

Pick the contract (double-click on it)

click on the three dots on the right

Select "Give Refund"

click.jpg

On the next page, select the invoice you want to refund against

select invoice.jpg

On the next page be veeeeeeeeeeeeery careful and read very carefully what you are refunding, editing numbers as required.

gaucho76
Community Member

Yes Petra, I tried that as well. If I go to "My Jobs" like you say, I don't find the contract because it's closed

If I go to Jobs --> All Contracts I see the contract in question (which is more or less the process described in the link I provided), but once I click on the contract, my screen is completely different to that on the Help page or your capture, see below:

upwork-capture.png

Just in case, I only removed the client's name and the job title which was right above what you see in the capture, but there's absolutely nothing else in the page

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Fabio, 

Based on your screenshot, it doesn't look like you are able to send a refund to your client because the logged-hours are currently still in the review week (as noted on the Weekly Billing Cycle). You should be able to refund the client once the payment is showing up on your account as available. You may read up on this help article for more information on how to issue a refund to your client.

~ Avery
Upwork
gaucho76
Community Member

OK, thank you Avery, will havee to wait

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Fabio, (and Petra!), 

I'm sorry I missed this crucial information. The contract is through an agency contract which is why you are unable to refund the client through your freelancer account. If you go through the agency context of your account, you should be able to see the "three button-menu" and be able to refund the client from there. 

Let me know if this isn't the case for you and I'll assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
gaucho76
Community Member

Yes, this was the case and I was able to solve it using the agency link, thank you!

petra_r
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

Hi Fabio, 

Based on your screenshot, it doesn't look like you are able to send a refund to your client because the logged-hours are currently still in the review week

Why would that matter?

I could refund hours in review, all that has ever mattered is that the client has been billed and charged and paid (on Monday)

current week.jpg

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Petra, 

Thanks for flagging that. I checked Fabio's account and can confirm that the refund button is not available on the contract. I will go ahead and check with the team if there seems to be an issue here, and I'll update the thread.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members