cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is the feedback score calculated? A revengeful client's score has drastically reduced my overall score!

Highlighted
Nirvaya S Member Since: Oct 30, 2013
1 of 24
I have got 5 star feedback from 5 clients. 1 client has given me 4.8 and another client 4.6. However, a low paying client whom I worked for around 5 months suddenly ended my contact a few days ago and rated me 4. I don't mind the client rating the score, but what I am shocked with, is my overall score! My average score based on those 8 evaluations is supposed to be 4.8 and in any case must be above 4.5! Yet my score is around 4.47 right now and that a reduced score from 4.94, that I held for many months. How can one client's biased rating suddenly decrease our rating so drastically? This means if a long time client suddenly gets pissed off with a contractor a few months, then his rankings can drastically get reduced, right? The score has had a very negative effect towards me. Usually clients ask for score about 4.5 for new work, but because of this low score my application is often rejected! I used to get many offers to interview, but now the offer numbers have declined as well. Why is the oDesk rating system so unfair? We work so much and so honestly for our clients to build this reputation, but then one bad rating and our months of hardwork is rendered meaningless!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
2 of 24
It is based on the total amount you earned from that client. It is not an average. [quote] The provider's average assignment feedback score weighted by the dollars charged on each assignment. For example, a $1,000 assignment with a 5 feedback score and a $200 assignment with a 1 feedback score would result in an adjusted score of, [($1,000 * 5) + ($200 * 1)] / ($1,000 + $200) = 5,200 / 1,200 = 4.33. [/quote] By the way, a 4 star is not bad. It means you did good but not excellent work.
Highlighted
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
3 of 24
Give a refund and the feedback fairy will make it disappear !
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
4 of 24
It's a lot to expect a freelancer to refund five months worth of work just to avoid a lower feedback score.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
5 of 24
The score hasn't dropped that low. Scoring over 4 is good, I don't think that it makes your profile look bad.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
6 of 24
...and sorry to break the bad news to you, but it takes a LOT of perfect scores afterward for the score to creep up again to what it was - it's something about the maths of it. The best thing to do is concentrate on putting your absolute everything into getting perfect five scores, and only choosing jobs where you're pretty sure you can achieve that
Highlighted
7 of 24
Yes, now that I'm back onto 5 again, I've had 4 responses in one day, I can only assume it was hiding my applications when I was on 4.97
Highlighted
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
8 of 24
Most clients do not care if your score is 5.0 or 4.97. Really.
Highlighted
9 of 24
I received offers from 5 clients yesterday, that's more than the total for the last month. I'm convinced the system was relegating me during that period, and is now prioritising me again. It may only be a small thing, but most writers with 4.97 - 4.99 are much better established than me, and, consequently, have made more money for odesk.
Highlighted
Peta Gay T Member Since: Jan 19, 2015
10 of 24

Hi, I got a 3 score and its my first job because he wanted a whole lot of stuffs, what can I do and no one is accepting my applications

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS