cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How long should a client take to review work?

Highlighted
Amanda K Member Since: Nov 29, 2015
1 of 17

I turned in a written piece of roughly 10,000 words to a client on Wed.  It's now Sunday, and I have not recieved payment.  How much latitude should I give the client before contacting the client about payment? My first client paid me almost immediately, so I'm at a loss.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 17

Was the project fully funded, and did you submit properly through the contract using the submit work and request payment function?

10 000 words take a while to review. The client may want to hire a proofreader, and it is weekend....

IF the client does not react the funds in escrow will automatically be released 2 weeks after you pressed the submit work button unless the client requests changes.

Highlighted
3 of 17

It was fully funded, so I guess I have nothing to worry about.  Thank you very much for your help.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 17

Yep, don't have to worry any more about funds release. It's pretty awesome. Submit to milestone and just wait for the clock to finish. Most people are pretty cool about releasing, but even in my short time here, I've had people disappear. I love that I don't have to bother people about escrow release. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Peter G Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
5 of 17

In general, I allow clients at least 2 weeks to review articles and white papers, and 3-4 weeks for eBooks and books.  That said, a number of variables may affect if/when I send a reminder message about payment.  For example, if the work is being reviewed by a "committee," I allow more time because this always slows down the process. 

Also, because I have (or hope to build) long-term relationships with most clients, I never want them to think I'm pressuring them to make hasty decisions.  A certain amount of patience is needed to project a professional image.

In this case, keep in mind that 10,000 words (approx. 20-25 double-spaced pages) is a fair amount of reading and that you submitted the work just before a long holiday weekend

As long as escrow was funded, there's no need to rush the client.

Highlighted
6 of 17

To be fair, he's in England, where this is not a holiday weekend. However, I appreciate your explanation of the funding process. I haven't been on Upwork for very long, as far as doing work goes.  LIke I said, my first client paid immediately, so it wasn't an issue.   Thank you very much for your help.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 17

edited to remove duplicate question Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
8 of 17

Wait until Tuesday or Wednesday and drop him a quick email. Make it more "just checking if you've had chance to review my work?" than "where my money at?" though. Then you're showing that client satisfaction is important to be proactively getting in touch to make sure they are happy with the work, with the side effect of saying "where my money at?" without actually saying "where my money at?" 

After that, I'd just leave it, as there's only another week to go after that until auto-release action. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 17

Scott E, so what you're saying is that all of my notes to clients in my Godfather voice and pics of me with a baseball bat are totally overboard? **bleep** been doinitrong all along.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 17

However, what is confusing is the page where you ask for release of funds, as it also invites you to submit the completed work. This presupposes that you should attach your work and ask for payment at the same time.

I think the whole milestone system needs to be overhauled and simplified, with far more autonomy given to the freelancer. And sorry to say it Elance haters, but the Elance milestone system was a lot easier to follow. Many clients do not want to be bothered pushing buttons. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS