cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to View a Prospective Client's Reviews (Unrelated to Me)

msnicely
Shayn N Member Since: Sep 26, 2015
1 of 13

Hello, all, I've gotten a good-sounding job proposal from a prospective client with a rating of 2.9 stars. This makes me a little leery, and I'd like to be able to see why their marks are average (though it appears they have spent a lot of money on this site). All I can see when I drift the cursor over their stars is, "2.91 stars based on 3 reviews." Is there any way to see the reviews? Thanks!

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 13

Hi Shayn,

In order to view client's work history, you can go to your proposal then click on "View Job Posting." Then scroll down and you will see the client's work history with all available feeback.

I hope this helps.

~ Valeria
Upwork
tgstudio
Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
3 of 13

Valeria, this does not work for me. I may see a few but not all the client's feedback. This has been an ongoing problem. For instance, I just now clicked on a client's proposal. Supposedly they have 16 reviews but only 7 show up. 

9c334938
Meehna G Member Since: Jun 10, 2019
4 of 13

I want to see reviews too but only see stars. It's not clear how to view reviews. Please advise. 

jeromepi
Jerome P Member Since: Jul 4, 2019
5 of 13

That's not very user friendly. I have a contract that was handed to me without a proposal, so I can't access any job offer from which I could access the client's reviews. Clicking on the client's name or avatar would be what you expect of a functional website in 2019... just saying.

Also oher question: a link offers me a ''verified identity badge'' will there be such a thing for clients? Some could use that, I ran into a few bad payers lately.

m_sharman
Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
6 of 13

Jerome P wrote:

That's not very user friendly. I have a contract that was handed to me without a proposal, so I can't access any job offer from which I could access the client's reviews. Clicking on the client's name or avatar would be what you expect of a functional website in 2019... just saying.

Yes, when a client sends you a direct offer without a link to the job posting, it's impossible to perform any due diligence beyond the star rating.

You might be able to ask that the client send you a link to past jobs on the site, assuming this isn't their first job.  Those links, may help.

That said, I agree this is a pain point for FL and something the support teams don't seem to fully understand (why we are frustrated). One job I accepted in this manner worked out quite well, as did a second one - I think. But it definitely gives me pause.

corinnaz
Corinna Z Member Since: Oct 14, 2020
7 of 13

This is still not an option. Where can I upvote this feature? I applied for a job and then the guy who sent me the actual offer used a different Upwork login with a much worse review rate! I really want to see the complaints to be able to mitigate right from the beginning. I feel like I got tricked into accepting.

7ba9aa11
Jack E Member Since: Sep 16, 2021
8 of 13

Seriously, Upwork, you seem to be more interested in protecting those hiring, rather than looking out for the freelancers who are regularly scammed and taken advantage of, on top of being charged exorbitant fees by you.  What are we paying all these fees for if you can't offer basic protective measures?  It certainly is no "privlege" to be looking for jobs on this site, these days.  There's probably more spam and scam than anything else.  It's a two-way street, stop being assholes.  This is why you get people trying to negotiate offline - no wants to pay you for nothing.

7ba9aa11
Jack E Member Since: Sep 16, 2021
9 of 13

And on missing reviews - I'm currently looking at a client with about 3 stars from 253 reviews.  Only 40 reviews are available to view, and they're all five stars.  This site is CLEARLY biased to hirers, even though the bulk of the fees are paid by the freelancers.  Absolutely absurd.

And does anyone from the company ever even read these!?  I think I'll just bounce over to Freelancer.com, or reddit job subs, or WeWorkRemotely, or Remote.co, or .... sites that don't charge me to find remote work while scamming me all along the way..

roberty1y
Community Guru
Robert Y Member Since: Aug 25, 2017
10 of 13

Jack E wrote:

And on missing reviews - I'm currently looking at a client with about 3 stars from 253 reviews.  Only 40 reviews are available to view, and they're all five stars.  This site is CLEARLY biased to hirers, even though the bulk of the fees are paid by the freelancers.  Absolutely absurd.

And does anyone from the company ever even read these!?  I think I'll just bounce over to Freelancer.com, or reddit job subs, or WeWorkRemotely, or Remote.co, or .... sites that don't charge me to find remote work while scamming me all along the way..

If a client has only a 3-star average, you don't need to see 253 reviews. You just need to get out of there and don't even think of working for them.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS