🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to get back disappointing clients due to ...
Page options
michele_laporta
Community Member

How to get back disappointing clients due to an external situation that slowed down the job ?

Some months ago I missed deadlines due to my relationship and I didn't feel creative at all, no focus at all, sleepless, I went through a dark time in my life (and learned so many important life lessons) where I just wanted to solve what was happening as if my life depended on it, ruining several new potential long term clients relationships I had because I said nothing to them. From Top Rated with 100% JSS and Rising Talent I went down to 87%.
Should I had to say to the client what was happening in my life, how I was feeling and why work was ridiculously slowing down all of a sudden ? Or just as I did explain nothing and deliver the work with this delay because I thought it is my fault feeling so low, hitting rock bottom and none of client business ?
Is there a way to get back on track with these disappointed clients in my case since it was not about something I was unable to do but a sudden earth-shattering event on my side?  If yes how?
Thanks for your time.
7 REPLIES 7
varungs
Community Member

It really depends on the client. Some more business-minded clients would see it as unprofessional and would consider you unreliable for future projects. Other clients may understand wholeheartedly, especially those who've been through something similar in the past. They may also appreciate your honesty.

Try to gauge what type of client they are by your past communications and the level of business they're at. There's no single good answer. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Your clients don't need or want information about your personal life.

If there are projects that have moved on without you, that is a good thing. Don't contact clients who are getting on fine without you.

If there are projects which were waiting for you, then you may ask the clients if they want you to resume working on the project again.

The important thing is to focus on the interests and needs of the clients.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Ok, so I know there's been a lot of talk about mental health and all rather recently...

But it's not advised to drag clients into your relationship issues in this manner.

It might not look too professional, especially when a client has paid you $ to do stuff.

At most you might advise them that due to some personal issues, you'll be unable to deliver but be sure to not drag them into the details much.

This is the internets. You are working on the internets (hooray to that!). Since no face-to-face contact is typically involved, clients can't have much say or know over your personal life.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Michele L wrote:
Some months ago I missed deadlines due to my relationship and I didn't feel creative at all, no focus at all, sleepless, I went through a dark time in my life (and learned so many important life lessons) where I just wanted to solve what was happening as if my life depended on it, ruining several new potential long term clients relationships I had because I said nothing to them. From Top Rated with 100% JSS and Rising Talent I went down to 87%.
Should I had to say to the client what was happening in my life, how I was feeling and why work was ridiculously slowing down all of a sudden ? Or just as I did explain nothing and deliver the work with this delay because I thought it is my fault feeling so low, hitting rock bottom and none of client business ?
Is there a way to get back on track with these disappointed clients in my case since it was not about something I was unable to do but a sudden earth-shattering event on my side?  If yes how?
Thanks for your time.

If there is a serious one-time issue that interferes with your work quality, you should have told the client right away, like breaking your arm and being unable to write. You can't go back to clients you lost and explain what was the reason back then and expect forgiveness, that ship is sailed. 

Martina P wrote:

If there is a serious one-time issue that interferes with your work quality, you should have told the client right away, like breaking your arm and being unable to write. You can't go back to clients you lost and explain what was the reason back then and expect forgiveness, that ship is sailed. 

That is perfectly understandable, Martina.

Breaking an arm.

Not relationship issues.

Like, "Dear client, I'm having some relationship issues and my babe (just) left me and I'm at all time low.

As a result, I would not be able/was not able to concentrate on your project". Gosh.

Do not do this!

This thread touches upon the difference between freelancing and full-time employment.

An employer may indeed expect to have an employee's personal health and other issues impact their business. One reason that a client may hire freelancers instead of full-time employees is so that they don't need to expend the resources that a full-time employer needs to.

Abinadab A wrote:

Martina P wrote:

That is perfectly understandable, Martina.

Breaking an arm.

Not relationship issues.

Like, "Dear client, I'm having some relationship issues and my babe (just) left me and I'm at all time low.

As a result, I would not be able/was not able to concentrate on your project". Gosh.

Do not do this!

Hold on a sec, did I just perpetrate that macho steorotype that has destroyed a lot of men?

Well, I don't know.

But I think you should talk to someone about your relationship woes. But definitely not your clients - folks who paid you $ to get stuff done.

But, Michele, can you train your mind and skills to the point where you deliver excellent work, as a creative, no matter your mood? Do you consider such possible?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members