cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep 5 stars rating?

Ivailo A Member Since: Aug 13, 2012
1 of 7
Hello! I was just wondering how some freelancers succeed on keeping their rating 5.00 stars with many completed jobs? I mean I tried to keep mine 5.00 - I always kept everything as discussed upon hiring and I'd say that I have successfully completed every job I so far with great results - all my clients have been satisfied. Although it happened a few times to have someone leaving me 4.XX rating. They've been satisfied, I've asked them multiple times if the final result was good, if they needed anything else, etc and they've been really happy with my work. They'd even leave me great feedback and I'd be surprised to see that the rating is not 5 stars. I would never ask my clients to leave me 5 stars feedback nor will I ask them why leave me 4,8 stars instead of 5 for no apparent reason but just wondering in general - is it just for the heck of it or some clients think that 5.00 stars should be the most perfectly executed job ever and will give 4.xx stars for anything else? How do you maintain your 5 stars?
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
2 of 7
The star ratings are about a lot more than just the work you completed. There are other things to consider like your communication with the client, your reliability, availability etc. They judge based on that too.
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
3 of 7
[quote=Ivailo A.]I would never ask my clients to leave me 5 stars feedback nor will I ask them why leave me 4,8 stars instead of 5 for no apparent reason but just wondering in general - is it just for the heck of it or some clients think that 5.00 stars should be the most perfectly executed job ever and will give 4.xx stars for anything else?[/quote] A fair amount of contractors (not all) beg and hound the client for a 5 star rating, some refund the job if they get anything less than a 5. Those are usually short lived careers however. Every client has a different idea of what a perfect 5 is, just do the best you can, be honest and open with the client, stay on top of the job, and deliver what you promise and you will be fine. Your 4.87 is an excellent rating for 106 jobs. That is a lot of clients that you pleased.
Xiaodan Z Member Since: Oct 20, 2013
4 of 7
I had the same question at first. Then I found that some clients just don't give 5-star feedback even if they are very satisfied with everything you did. Some of my clients would say great job, excellent, will hire you again, etc., but they just give 4.XX rating for the feedback. I think that is totally fine now. Just try your best to do whatever you can.
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 7
The above is true and something that just has to be accepted. The way the maths works, once a percentage score is dropped (say 4.99 to 4.98) it takes a long time with perfect work to claw it back again, and you really have to accept at some stage that it's not a failure to drop the occasional point, and the longer you're at it, the more inevitable it becomes.
Ivailo A Member Since: Aug 13, 2012
6 of 7
Thank you for your comments! It looks impossible to keep 5 stars rating indeed. As Xiaodan Zheng mentioned - sometimes even if the job is successfully completed and the client says he is happy with the result, availability and everything, will give me great feedback and 4.XX rating instead of 5. So it seems rather inevitable for such events to occur sooner or later. Once I had client who wanted something very basic, specific and very easy to create. There's nothing that could've gone wrong as again, it was a very easy task. I did everything 1:1 as requested, delivered way before the deadline. The client was pleased, everything was perfect and yet he gave me 4.XX stars because 'the task was very simple it didn't let me show more of my skills' - ?!. Sounds like a paradox... And given that I don't refund even a small amount of money to get rid of the 4.XX rating, 5 stars is not realistic. I mean I don't refund not because of the money but because if every time a client gives less than 5 stars for no apparent reason, it'll be a great practice to exploit for small jobs...
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
7 of 7
My ratings only recently dropped to 4.87. It used to be a consistent 4.99. I wasn't particularly happy because this was caused because of 1 client's review. Nothing I can do except keep trying to produce good work. A 4 star rating is better than 2 star.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS