🐈 Community
heng65

How to work as freelancer while having full-time Job?

I want to know how to explain clients about having full time job without losing them. Since clients start to stop contacting after knowing i have full time job.

Thank you for your response.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jeffreybacon

Hi, Heng,

I think that it's always best to let clients know the truth about the work situation. I work with a number of freelancers in your situation, and, when they're working with me, I ask them to be upfront with the client, and we clearly spell out expectations and limitations.

For example, one of my collaborators designs logos, and he's a full time student and works a job also. When we talk with a client, we explain this to the client. If the client cannot work with his schedule, we may have to tell that client that we simply cannot work with him or her.

That's difficult to do when you're getting started because you may fear shutting the door on a portion of your potential clients. But, wouldn't you rather lose a client that you cannot please, rather than gain a client who's unhappy with your work style?

Focus on clients who want to work with you, your work style, and your rules. You'll attract better clients, and you'll better enjoy the interaction with them. If you’re strong and stick to clients who can stick to your rules, you’ll gain a following of satisfied clients who know other clients like them. Eventually you’ll have plenty of clients that work well with you.

You'll find that you soon have strong following of clients here, on Upwork.

Jeffrey

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jeffreybacon

Hi, Heng,

I think that it's always best to let clients know the truth about the work situation. I work with a number of freelancers in your situation, and, when they're working with me, I ask them to be upfront with the client, and we clearly spell out expectations and limitations.

For example, one of my collaborators designs logos, and he's a full time student and works a job also. When we talk with a client, we explain this to the client. If the client cannot work with his schedule, we may have to tell that client that we simply cannot work with him or her.

That's difficult to do when you're getting started because you may fear shutting the door on a portion of your potential clients. But, wouldn't you rather lose a client that you cannot please, rather than gain a client who's unhappy with your work style?

Focus on clients who want to work with you, your work style, and your rules. You'll attract better clients, and you'll better enjoy the interaction with them. If you’re strong and stick to clients who can stick to your rules, you’ll gain a following of satisfied clients who know other clients like them. Eventually you’ll have plenty of clients that work well with you.

You'll find that you soon have strong following of clients here, on Upwork.

Jeffrey

I like telling the truth so i can work more efficiency for client.

Thank you so much for your information.

You don't need to tell them you have a full time job unless absolutely necessary. Take small jobs you can do over the weekend or after work and give them your deadline. That's what I did. If you deliver when you say you will, no reason for them to know what you're doing other parts of your days.

That's certainly the case too. The fact is, most clients don't ask too much. They usually just want a product within a certain time limit, at a certain price. Not many ask about the details of how it's going to be done or how much time you're available to do it! Man Very Happy

Yep, clients don't bother me too much for updates unless I'm getting close to the deadline, which I've done when I'm really busy. 

When it comes to talking about your personal life or all the stuff you deal with on Upwork (I'm amazed at the supposed conversations people say they have with clients about Upwork), less is better.

How has your freelancing gone? Jennifer G. had good advice. 

Jeffrey

Jennifer M, that is!

kat303

There's no need to let a client know that you have a full time job. You know what you're capable of, and about how much time it would time to finish a job. If you can satisfy the clients requirements and complete it with any deadline (if any) they apply for it.

Only if you see that it may present a problem concidering communication then you can mention that,  Clients, as repied to above, only care about having their job done in the time limit that they need it. If you can meet that, great, If not, then don't take the job.

Hello. So I just recently joined upwork so I can work part time on the weekends or at night.  I do work a full time job and when filling out my profile, added my present company as part of my work experience.  Should I go back in my profile and edit this information out now that I see feedback is leaning more toward NOT sharing this with potential clients?  

I doubt clients will look at your work experience outside Upwork. The clients who object to freelancers who are trying to work on nights and weekends are ones that need quick turnarounds and accessibility. For example, someone who wants their app coded doesn't want to wait weeks while a freelancer pieces it together in his or her spare time. 

Upcoming Events
Oct 27
Nov 29