Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to update my portfolio with a new folder but cant

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Dante H Member Since: Feb 5, 2019
41 of 109

Hi,

I've noticed that the portfolio have changed, every time I try to create a new portfolio post, upwork asks me to make an specialized profile.  I don't want to create this specialized profile though, is there any way to just create an portfolio using the main profile?

Also I've noticed that on this specialized profile the image has to be inside within the rectangular format, which it's very boring because if the image is not retangular it's automatically cropped,  and this change did not happen on the main profile,  only on the specialized profile.

What is the reason for this change?

I really prefer to keep only the main profile, so how can I add an portfolio section without having to create an specialized profile?

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
42 of 109

Dante H wrote:

I really prefer to keep only the main profile, so how can I add an portfolio section without having to create an specialized profile?

Dante, you can't, unless Upwork decides to allow everyone to change their portfolio without creating a specialized profile.

John M Member Since: Jun 15, 2019
43 of 109

I have to agree with all of the complaints above. It is ridiculous that I cannot add portfolio items to my main portfolio. What happens if I DO create a specialized portfolio? Do all the items automatically migrate to my main portfolio? What if a client is just browsing freelancers and looks at my main portfolio and there's nothing there.

When I hear the statement that this is "working as designed" I want to know who did the UI/UX research on this "feature" and what methodology they used. They certainly didn't ask any users.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
44 of 109

John M wrote:

...When I hear the statement that this is "working as designed" I want to know who did the UI/UX research on this "feature" and what methodology they used. They certainly didn't ask any users.

Upwork introduced this feature for IT workers. When they saw an increase in either hiring or revenue in that segment, they made one of their infamously unsupported extrapolations, and made it a stridently and insistently promoted "option" across the board. Despite clamor from users reporting a poorly-executed implementation and users for whom specialized profiles make no sense, Upwork has now resorted to coercion for this "option."

Highlighted
Kevin O Member Since: Feb 27, 2019
45 of 109

This is a big problem.  I echo the setiments of everyone above that forcing freelancers to add a specialized profile just so they can add portfolio items is ridiculous.  And while I hear "specialized proflies are better for searching and connecting freelancers to clients" it should be our decision to use them if it fits within our business.  A specialized profile doesn't fit within what I do so now I'm stuck not being able to add more portfolio items.

Portfolio items should be optionally tied to specialized profiles.  Not required.

Your limitation is hurting our business.

Highlighted
Jacob G Member Since: Apr 18, 2018
46 of 109

I find the specialized portfolio too restrictive and the UI a bit clunky and tedious. I'd like to keep a general profile. Am I missing something with regard to adding new portfolio projects, without making a specialized profile? I can't upload any new projects without making a specialized profile first, then deleting the specialized profile after upload. See attached portfolio upload loop.

A note on specialized profiles - the skill options aren't open-ended enough and result in a pigeonholing that doesn't describe what I do. There's also overlap between specialization that I can't seem to display correctly given the UI - being forced to select one specialized portfolio for a project when in certain cases both apply, and in other cases neither specialization really applies but I'm forced to select between the limited two when uploading new projects. Also, aren't the skill tags supposed to cover specialization - why add this feature?

Old portfolio categories appear to be hanging around but I can't modify them or add applicable projects.

Is this a known issue being worked through? Been inactive for a while. Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
47 of 109

I had the same issue, I had to make a specialized profile based on my general profile just to add a new writing sample. The skills in my field were pretty limited, as well. I think my old profile was actually better than the new duplicate specialized profile. 

I am a little grouchy about some of the changes since I had three annoying notifications today and then discovered this "new feature."  I didn't know about the option of deleting the specialized profile afterward. 

Highlighted
48 of 109

Everything appears to be fine on my end but not advising anyone else do so. Not sure how it impacts the algos... assuming poorly given the 30% exposure add advertised for specialized profiles.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
49 of 109

Hi Jacob, 

I merged your post to this masterthread as this is being monitored by the team. Regarding your question about adding portolio items to your general profile, please know that this is working as designed. This is to encourage users to create specialized profiles as this allow freelancers to better customize their skills and experience. You may read more about it here through this announcement post. 

Regarding your second question, I will have to check this with the team, and I'll get back to you once I have more information. Could you please confirm the specific skills tag you were referring to on your post so that I can share this with the team? 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
50 of 109

I understand that is the intention, but it's just re-tagging the same skills already tagged to my profile, and creating organizational issues. When adding a new project, I have to select a specialized portfolio that it applies to. Not all projects are applicable to either (or poorly described as such), and some are applicable to both categories, but I have to choose one to display it under. The issue isn't tied to one particular skill category, but universal, present wherever fields overlap and are not adequately described by forced specialization.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS