cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am working in a Software House but the work that i do there, can i show on my portfolio?

Highlighted
akbar k Member Since: Jul 27, 2015
1 of 9

I am currently working in a software House so my daily jobs include working with wordpress php css and html, but the thing is i have not done any freelance work before, i created my profile yesterday and i almost have nothing to show on my porfolio. So my question is the work that i do in my office, can i add it to my own portfolio on upwork.

I think its unethical to show it as my own, as they are already paying me for that work, just want to know yout thoughts 

Regards

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
2 of 9

It would be unethical for you to sell it to a client, but to display it as your work? No, I'd say that's fine. You did it, after all.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
akbar k Member Since: Jul 27, 2015
3 of 9

But here is the hiccup Cat Sad

our software house take almost 60% work from upwork,while other 40 % is local. and my CEO is always on upwork so in that case what do you say? 

how will he feel when he see my profile and in my porfolio he see the work that has been done by his firm under his name .

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
4 of 9

In your position I'd ask your boss. You did the work, no matter who was paying you for it. My portfolio is full of work I did for clients; if it's something I want to use as a portfolio item I just ask the client for permission to do so.

I understand your concern, but it's obvious to everyone that somebody at your software house actually did the work, and it doesn't matter much if people know it was you.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 9

@akbar k wrote:

But here is the hiccup Cat Sad

our software house take almost 60% work from upwork,while other 40 % is local. and my CEO is always on upwork so in that case what do you say? 

how will he feel when he see my profile and in my porfolio he see the work that has been done by his firm under his name .

oh that might be tricky. Did you sign a non-compete? I don't think he'd like it too much if you and he were going after the same job. Get ready to get fired if he catches you. If you don't care, then do your thing and just expect that there's a good possibility you're getting fired. .

Highlighted
Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
6 of 9

Hello Akbar,

My bit is not really about showing or not showing your portfolios.

If you are going to be doing the same tasks you do for your boss on this platform (Upwork) , then I'll be very frank with you - its called Conflict of Interest. You might want to look at being a fulltime freelancer - it comes with many risks - and many rewards.

Two things. If you ask your boss and he says yes or no, he will always be watching over his shoulder to see if you are selling him short.

Secondly , put yourself in his shoes. What will you say if a member of your staff wants to become the competiton on your turf ?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Patrick P Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
7 of 9

My philosophy is to always ask the person who has ownership of any materials (even if you produced them) whether or not they are okay with you using them in your portfolio. I'd talk with your boss and see if he gives you the okay.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
8 of 9

If you are employed somewhere then you can showcase the projects you have done in your CV, on Linkedin and other web sites. Then why not on Upwork?

But if you are directly in competition with your employer then you should ask for permission. Because if he knew you would compete with him/her with the material that you or the team produced spending his/her money then he/she would have never hired you in the first place. Smiley Indifferent

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 9

Hi Akbar,

It is always better to ask the owner of the product for permission to add it to your portfolio to avoid any misunderstanding.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS