Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

I feel betrayed by Upwork

Active Member
Abdullah S Member Since: May 25, 2018
1 of 11

Just last month I experienced an unreasonable client who won't fund the full amount(funded 50%) to escrow but wants the full work submitted before the deadline. He asked me to submit outside of upwork because of maintenance. I didn't submit outside of upwork cause he didn't fund the full amount  After the maintenance was over he requested a lot me to submit or he'll face losses and he's in a hurry. Anyway, I submitted files as I worked with him a couple of times before. He was happy with m work quality and gave me 5* rating.

 

He came back after two weeks and out of the blue asked me to do a good amount of rendering work FOR FREE otherwise he won't fund the rest amount to the previous job or won't close it.

 

I informed upwork & they did nothing. Last week I got the update on the dispute that the client will get the full refund of escrow I will get a 'courtesy credit for the escrow amount' !!!! WTF. 

 

How can a freelancer get punished for something he wasn't paid for in the first place?  What about blackmailing the freelancer to do a FREE project!

And I didn't get the 'courtesy amount" yet. 

Is this how 'escrow' works?!!

Moderator
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 11

Hi Abdullah,

 

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with your client.
Please keep in mind that our Fixed-Price Protection for Freelancers does not cover promised funds and unfunded milestones. I can advise you to always double check the budget in Escrow before starting to work.

Regarding your courtesy credit, please be patient for a couple of days and the funds will be credited on your account.

Lastly, just to confirm that our team has investigated your client and proper actions were taken. Unfortunately we can`t share details for other users. If you have any additional questions feel free to post them here. Thank you.


Untitled
Active Member
Abdullah S Member Since: May 25, 2018
3 of 11

Thank you for your quick reply. 

 

Yes! I do check the escrow before I start working. I was surprised when upwork replied, "...will be issuing a refund of Escrow ($20.00) to the client as well as a courtesy credit for the escrow amount to the freelancer". From the point of upwork, It sounds like the client was right & he'll be getting the full refund.  The freelancer was responsible for the dispute & he'll get a courtesy amount, while upwork didn't make itself clear who's fault it was & you informed me that the client was also punished in some way. Upwork didn't even mention the courtesy amount! 

 

So why I'm not getting a refund of Escrow ($20.00)  instead of a courtesy amount. 

 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
4 of 11

@Abdullah S wrote:

 

Yes! I do check the escrow before I start working. I was surprised when upwork replied, "...will be issuing a refund of Escrow ($20.00) to the client as well as a courtesy credit for the escrow amount to the freelancer". From the point of upwork, It sounds like the client was right & he'll be getting the full refund.  The freelancer was responsible for the dispute & he'll get a courtesy amount, while upwork didn't make itself clear who's fault it was & you informed me that the client was also punished in some way. Upwork didn't even mention the courtesy amount! 

 

So why I'm not getting a refund of Escrow ($20.00)  instead of a courtesy amount. 

 


 Because "refund" means getting BACK somthing you previously paid.

You did not pay $ 20 - the client did, so you can not get a "refund"

 

Dispute can and does not decide who is "at fault" - only arbitration can (at a cost of $ 291 each, client, freelancer and Upwork.)

 

It's not worth Upwork's time to mess about with a dispute over $ 20 - it costs them more to "mediate"  than to just give the client his $ 20 back and you a credit for $ 20 to make the whole thing go away.

 

View solution in original post

Active Member
Muhammad A Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
5 of 11

Hello Petra! I was looking at the community Discussions and I think you have alot of exprience on Upwork, I want to know does having in 3 diputes get your account blocked?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 11

Muhammad A wrote:

I want to know does having in 3 diputes get your account blocked?


I doubt it, but obviously it depends on how many contracts the freelancer had overall and the outcomes and so on.

I've never had a dispute.

 

Active Member
Muhammad A Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
7 of 11

I have been on Upwork for almost two years and had a dispute issue first time in the previous week, It has been resolved now and I got the courtesy credit and didn't know what it was until I saw your community discssions.Thank you for prompt response!

Ace Contributor
Dimitri H Member Since: Feb 9, 2018
8 of 11

Never ever start working on a fixed price project before all of the funding is in escrow.
I once had a client who wanted me to do a $1,000-$2,000 job (as I recall it), but he only wanted to send $5 into escrow. He said it was to protect himself and that it was his company's police to do so. He referred to his hi rating and many happy freelancers who worked with him.

Do you think I took the job?
Good guess. Don't work without having the money in Escrow.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 11

Dimitri H wrote:

Never ever start working on a fixed price project before all of the funding is in escrow.
I once had a client who wanted me to do a $1,000-$2,000 job (as I recall it), but he only wanted to send $5 into escrow. He said it was to protect himself and that it was his company's police to do so. He referred to his hi rating and many happy freelancers who worked with him.

Do you think I took the job?
Good guess. Don't work without having the money in Escrow.


It is a judgment call. I have done the work against unfunded milestones and not handed the work over prior to full funding. It has never gone wrong (YET !!!)

 

With one long term, trusted client I have worked and handed over the work against unfunded milestones, to the tune of 1-2k several times and it has not gone wrong (YET !!!)


I use my common sense and gut instinct and promise not to come here whining if / when it eventually backfires.

 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 11

Dimitri H wrote:

Never ever start working on a fixed price project before all of the funding is in escrow.
I once had a client who wanted me to do a $1,000-$2,000 job (as I recall it), but he only wanted to send $5 into escrow. He said it was to protect himself and that it was his company's police to do so. He referred to his hi rating and many happy freelancers who worked with him.

Do you think I took the job?
Good guess. Don't work without having the money in Escrow.


The problem with relying on the client's feedback is that you don't see when they get a full refund since it doesn't show on the account and lots of freelancers can be pushed into refunds cuz they ain't got $300 to push back. I wouldn't work without full escrow either OR I will do half of the work if half is escrowed. But I only have one client where I'll work on half escrow for half of the work. Usually, I tell people they have to escrow the whole amount and reject initial milestones that have only 50% deposited.

 

If some client said "look at my feedback risk blah blah" I'd tell him to look at my feedback and risk blah blah "escrow the whole thing, you turd".  <~~~~~~~ look at that attitude and all the chances I'm ruining from my forum post OMG

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS