Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm afraid my existence harms

mitiy
Mitiy G Member Since: Dec 21, 2016
1 of 15

Hi, everybody.

Something happened to clients which I was made proposals, something bad. 

Since 8 dec I haven't any notification. The jobs still in a base, this was not completed, not by me, not anyone else. (no one chooses me((... I can't take my fist job 2 months, but I'm thinking something wrong with my profile, or me)

The client simply disappears, and I afraid this is due to my attention.

And now I am afraid to do any action in order not to hurt anyone.

Can you suggest something in this situation, maybe voodoo or exorcism or change location?

Anyway, thank you for your time.

Mitiy

p_valdes
Community Guru
Pablo V Member Since: Dec 16, 2014
2 of 15

You made a proposal and are not hired. Is not the end of the world. Many clients decide not to hire anybody in a lot of jobs.

At this moment, you could withdraw your proposal if you don't feel particularly inclined to work for a non-communicative client, or just leave it as is.

I personally prefer things closed and out of the way and off of my head. It helps me to focuse better in new problems, so I often politely withdraw my proposal if I don't receive any answer after a reasonable amount of weeks. If is a really interesting challenge that I haven't done before, I typically will try solving it in those weeks for satisfy my own curiosity. Once is solved or learned, I'm not interested anymore in the problem, will be focused in a different problem of my interest and I'll decline spending more time on the old problem. Moreover, If the client don't mind wasting my time (and don't says at least that he/she will review the proposal later, or something like this), is either a bot or not the kind of client that I'm looking for. On the other hand, If the client review and declines quickly my proposal it earns my respect. Is a professional and I definitely could be interested in solving their problems in the future.

You could prefer just let your proposal 'as is' and forget that you made this proposal. Could probably work better for you. Everybody is different

In short, I'l suggest to move on and keep trying, or employ your valuable time doing other personal projects. Do what you want and don't look back.

p_valdes
Community Guru
3 of 15

> I'm thinking something wrong with my profile or with me

I see,... Your profile is set to 'not public' Mitiy. Clients probably can't see it.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 15

Hi Mitiy,

After reviewing your activity and communication, I believe you're referring to clients you had an interview with. They stopped responding after you provided test work related to their jobs, without previously being hired for them, which enabled them to get their jobs completed in part or full without payment. Note that we believe freelancers should get paid for their work and strongly advise not to start working, even on test samples, before they have been officially hired for the job and a contract is created on Upwork.

Please check the tips we shared here and afterwards review these resources, so you could use utilise the Upwork platform successfully. Make sure to also report a client asking you to provide a free sample in order to be considered for their job.

Untitled
p_valdes
Community Guru
5 of 15

A totally different situation, then. It was unclear to me in the first post.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 15

re: "I'm afraid my existence harms"

You are correct.

Freelancers who work for free do indeed harm this platform.

letizia-farisato
Ace Contributor
Letizia F Member Since: Mar 18, 2012
7 of 15

@Preston: I believe it's clients who ask work for free work, masking their request under a "test job", that should be blamed, not the freelancers who fall into these traps.  I consider myself lucky that I was warned against such "tests" since the very beginning of my career, and never applied to anything that was not paid. Sometimes they use "competitions" for the same goal of getting work done for free. The fact is that this information must be spread over and over among freelancers, especially the newbies and the less experienced, it's not a granted knowledge.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
8 of 15

I just did a Test job for the first time in my freelance life which has been going on for at least 10 years.  Obviously I wanted/coveted that gig.

I got PAID for the job - $100 so you don't need to go to my profile.

I toId the client if I was awarded the job I would resubmit the job total to reflect the payment as the test job was for part of a webpage to be used in the final product.

Client is happy. I am happy.

FYI - almost all other "in the running" candidates offered and supplied free work. They did not land the job.

Free work is unprofessional and professional clients, wanting high quality work. know that.

Guys, it is NOT the clients who ask for free work; it is the idiots who supply the free work.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 15

@Letizia F wrote:

The fact is that this information must be spread over and over among freelancers, especially the newbies and the less experienced, it's not a granted knowledge.

Letizia, the problem is that Upwork makes a lot of information available to freelancers to avoid falling into this sort of trap, and the forums are full of discussion about that type of scam. Upwork moderators and regular participants here all but beg new freelancers to educate themselves before bidding on jobs, but most seem to choose not to read the resourcces created for new freelancers, or even the terms of service, before jumping in and working with a client. The knowledge is readily available for anyone willing to take a professional approach to the platform.

letizia-farisato
Ace Contributor
Letizia F Member Since: Mar 18, 2012
10 of 15

@Tiffany: 

I understand what you mean, and - in the case of freelancers not willing of educating themeselves - of course I can only agree with you. However, I don't believe it's * always * a matter of "choosing not to" read the resources etc. Sometimes it CAN be a human error, especially when you consider English language limitations for non-native English speakers. That's why I believe that it's clients bidding "dirty jobs" the ones who should be blamed in the first place. And I know that Upwork put in place the possibility of flagging those jobs, which is great.

@Wendy:

I'm a bit confused: you said you bid on one of those test jobs. Then you seem to blame the other participants because they gave free work. From my understanding, the only difference between you and the others is that you won the job and got paid. If it didn't go that way, you would have supplied free work too, wouldn't you? My question is: since you do have clear ideas and opinions about the wrongness of supplying free work, why did YOU participate in such job in first place, instead of flagging it?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS