🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I'm not a Tax Payer
Page options
a4f54ff1
Community Member

I'm not a Tax Payer

Hi,

I am a college student from Bangladesh and my age is 18. UpWork is asking for my tax info but I don't pay taxes because I am just a student. The current law here doesn't take any taxes from freelancing  I believe(correct me if I'm wrong). 

Please help. How am I supposed to withdraw my funds if I don't have a tax info? 

Thanks again for reading through.

J.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Juboraz,

Thank you for reaching out. We recommend referring to your county’s tax website or a tax consultant as we don't provide tax advice here.

The W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E are U.S. tax forms for non-U.S. Persons. We and the IRS use them to determine whether you live in the U.S. and what taxes, if any, we need to collect from your earnings on Upwork. You must have this form on file before you can withdraw earnings from Upwork.

Without these forms as proof that you are a non-U.S. Person, Upwork will be required to withhold 30% of your future earnings on Upwork and send that withholding tax to the IRS. As long as a new W-8BEN/W-8BEN-E form is filled out completely and validly, we are not required to withhold U.S. income tax.

To complete the W-8BEN or W-8BEN-8, you’ll need to complete three cards in the Tax Information section of your settings.

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Juboraz,

Thank you for reaching out. We recommend referring to your county’s tax website or a tax consultant as we don't provide tax advice here.

The W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E are U.S. tax forms for non-U.S. Persons. We and the IRS use them to determine whether you live in the U.S. and what taxes, if any, we need to collect from your earnings on Upwork. You must have this form on file before you can withdraw earnings from Upwork.

Without these forms as proof that you are a non-U.S. Person, Upwork will be required to withhold 30% of your future earnings on Upwork and send that withholding tax to the IRS. As long as a new W-8BEN/W-8BEN-E form is filled out completely and validly, we are not required to withhold U.S. income tax.

To complete the W-8BEN or W-8BEN-8, you’ll need to complete three cards in the Tax Information section of your settings.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi AJ,

This is my final question. My country won't likely recognize as an earning citizen. So, can I use my father's tax info and his bank account to get paid?

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Juboraz,

You cannot use another person's tax and bank account information. This is not allowed and can get your account suspended.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hello I am from India and I am 18 plus but not yet started paying taxes as I am a college student.

If I do not fill the W8 BEN form 30% of my earnings will be held at upwork and 70% would still be receivable for me right ?

So did you fill any tax information? 

What a useless response.

e37041f6
Community Member

Hi Juboraz,

I have the same problem as you. So did you figure a way out to overcome this?

- Jason. 

ArjayM
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jacson,

I want to reiterate Annie Jane's response above that we recommend referring to your county’s tax website or a tax consultant as we don't provide tax advice here. Her response has been marked as a solution as well so you may want to review the information and follow the instructions she shared to complete your Tax Information.

~ Arjay
Upwork
cf9e3c1b
Community Member

You don't have to be aggressive brother, We are Upwork customers, and you should respect us, All he asked was "Will you still get paid without filling in Tax Information?" we aren't complaining about Upwork's 30% tax deduction for non-us taxpayers, all we asked is will we get paid without filling tax information. 

I'm currently a refugee in another country, it's difficult to open a business license and tax information. 

tlsanders
Community Member

a5cb4c09
Community Member

There is no need to pay tax. Here i.e. in India, a PAN card is made which is like tax information for the students.

9a8d2a17
Community Member

`From above responses, does that means that without TIN no withdrawal can be made?

please help out

Hello Caleb,

I checked your account, and it looks like you have added your TIN already. You are all set and your payment method will be activated after the 3-day security period.

To clarify, freelancers who are outside the US will not be able to withdraw their earnings from Upwork until they complete the  W8 BEN form. Also, if they do not complete the required form, we may be required to withhold up to 30% of their future earnings on Upwork and send them to the IRS. We will not be able to provide refunds on the withheld funds submitted to the IRS, even if the forms are later completed. You may visit this helpful article for more information. 

~Ivy
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members