🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I need some advice for cancelling a job
Page options
jonathangarbet
Community Member

I need some advice for cancelling a job

Hello, I hope somebody can help. I explain the situation:

I recently had an upwork voice call - interview. And I was hired. (I had doubts if this was ok with Upwork, but I got the answer on this forum - https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Frequently-Asked-Questions-on-TOS-changes-regarding-in...)

Then I started communicating with the client via Upwork chat but he told me he prefered to use wassup or phone because he forgets to check upwork. Then I looked for info and read in the forum that it's ok to communicate in the way the client prefers once you have the contract and payment is in scrow - https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Is-communicating-outside-Upwork-allowed-If-yes-what-ar.... So I acceded and I sent him the next upates via wassup.

The thing is that I'm really tired of this project and situation. This is a project that in my mind and plans take me 3 days to accomplish and is taking way longer. Messaging and sending files via phone is also a waste of time to me and a way of bussinness communication I hate. It looks that they expect you to be able 24/7 and everything is so slow. 

At this point and after some differences, I'm truly considering just closing the job and forget about. 

Is that possible? since I haven't been chatting via upwork chat during last days? I could share the extern communication if needed, I have no problem with that, I'm clear. I'm not trying to break the norms or anything.

I just that I'm not interested in all of this for the amount of money we pacted. And since this client is easyly in a bad mod, it doesn't help at all.

I hope someone can help, I just don't want to mess my account because of this. If it's necessary I'll complete the job even I would really prefer to move forward and forget about.

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Jonathan G wrote: Is that possible? since I haven't been chatting via upwork chat during last days? I could share the extern communication if needed, I have no problem with that, I'm clear. I'm not trying to break the norms or anything.

Of course it is "possible". Any client and any freelancer can end a contract at any time. No need to show anyone any communication. Literally nobody other than your client and yourself care who ends an contract and why and who said what unless there is a dispute. If nothing was paid, nothing can be disputed.

You can end the contract, and the funds in escrow will be returned to the client. The client may or may not leave poor private feedback, which could affect your JSS, but you're top rated and could zap it using your feedback removal perk (if you haven't used it in the last 3 months and 10 contracts) *IF* your JSS should be affected.

In general it tends to be better to set boundaries early and manage your clients early on before their unrealistic expectations set in... It might be too late with this particular client.

Hi Petra, thank you very much for your aswer, that's what I needed to know. And I have read some of your asnwers before and I guess I can trust in what you say.

I have never used the feedback removal perk, I'll get informed.

Thanks!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members