🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I want to leave the agency but work for the s...
Page options
seanangelo122130
Community Member

I want to leave the agency but work for the same client directly

I want to leave the agency because the agency has a big cut on the payy  and aside from that the payment option Transpay ,that the agency uses doesn't ow the exchange rate. I'm left wondering where the rest of money really is. I thought salary statements were automatic but with the agency I had to request and they just showed me the me invoice they asked me to make in order to get paid. 

What's the point of being a freelncer when you leave the agency and the agency still has control on who hires you or who u work for ? That's justa bit unfair especially if almost 33% of your salary goes to the agency. He alwasy ,emtions contracts and stuff in a thretening way. Please help and advice . Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Leave the agency then...

The contract with the client will have to be closed first, but Upwork will not stop the client from hiring you directly afterwards.

That is assuming you did not sign any contract with that ageny regarding taking agency clients with you should you leave.

chreaven
Community Member

Hello, needing your advice, I'm part of an agency and same client has hired me directly through upwork. Prior hiring me directly, I had this discuss with my agency and my agency said it's okay, it's up to me. So I thought it was okay, because she said so, that I can decide., so I told her we will. And she said "ok". Day came, client sent me a contract as a freelancer and we've ended our contract under the agency, my agency started delaying my salary day after and threatens she'll report me so that I could end without a job, it was clearly discuss on our messages (facebook messenger) that she said she's okay with whatever my decision will be, and I even asked if there's a specific period I should stay (since there's no contract we've signed on or any agreement discussed) and I have no problem on staying if she would disagree before. Now, I'm a bit worried on what will happens next, my client said he's very happy with my work so far, so I don't want to lose my client. I know communication is the key and I've been doing my best to communicate with the agency but I won't get proper response. Now I'm planning to leave my agency, can I leave the agency? Will there be any violation if I leave the agency? I still got 2 weeks of salary (I think) pending under the agency, but I've told her it's up to her now if she would give that to me. Needing your expert advice on this. Thank you. 

lysis10
Community Member

that's the beauty of making your own decisions

leave the agency if that's what you want to do

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sufrhea, 

I checked and can see that you are a non-exclusive member of the agency you are associated with. You can leave an agency at any time. If you choose to do so, you will keep your Upwork profile and related work history from your time in the agency.

To leave your agency:

1. Click the account drop-down menu at the top right and choose Settings. Then click My Teams.
  2. Select Leave Team from the Actions drop-down list.

~ Avery
Upwork
highyan18
Community Member

Hi Avery, question one. i'm under an agency and has an on going contract with one client. If i leave the agency, will the contract end or will it stay active when I leave the ageny?

Hi Arianne,

Thank you for your message. If you have an ongoing contract under the agency, you will have to end that contract before you leave an agency.

Thank you 

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep,

What about the proposals submitted on my behalf from the Agency I am with,  will i need to resubmit the proposals or will they still be ok?

Thank you,

Austin Gentry

Hi Donald,

You will need to withdraw active proposals if they were submitted on behalf of the agency before leaving the agency. That said, you can no longer resubmit proposals to the same job post.

~ Arjay
Upwork
seanangelo122130
Community Member

Thank i
seanangelo122130
Community Member

Thank u to those who replied. I understand it easy to leave since i am not exclusive my dilemma though is I still want to work for the client Im working for under that agency. I won’t be stealing the client from the agency because the agency has employed 4 more freelancers for that company. So in total there is 5 of us. Would I still be able to work for that client or no?

@Sufrhea Alma M wrote:
Thank u to those who replied. I understand it easy to leave since i am not exclusive my dilemma though is I still want to work for the client Im working for under that agency. I won’t be stealing the client from the agency because the agency has employed 4 more freelancers for that company. So in total there is 5 of us. Would I still be able to work for that client or no?

Only if the client ends the contract you have under the agency and hires you as an independent freelancer. You can not leave the agency and carry on working under the agency contract.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members