🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I was scammed
Page options
fontes_valeria
Community Member

I was scammed

I was translating lists of products for a Chinese client, she added a new offer after the first milestone was completed, I worked on that then she paid me. Yesterday she sent a message asking me to do more lists, although she would add the offer just later. I worked the whole night on that. Today morning, I wrote to her, asking about the new offer she promised to add, and she said sorry I don't know what you're talking about. I have the conversation printscreened, but I don't think I can start a dispute because I've worked out of contract. I'm very upset, and decided to talk about it here to warn you all: never trust!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Valeria, 

I checked your account and can see that both milestones were already paid by the client. It would be best if you can clarify with the client if you were meant to do more work after the second milestone was released, because there may mave been miscommunication there. 

Since you are new here, I would definitely recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled. Please also pay close attention to the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

I also had to edit your post as users are not allowed to include names of persons or companies (or other identifying information) in an accusation of misconduct, incompetence or other wrongdoing in their post, or in attachements. You may refer to the Community Guidelines for more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
joansands
Community Member

Valeria - I hope you have learned your lesson not to do work for anyone without a contract.

charlesmartinjr
Community Member

I'm sorry this happened to you.  Yes working without an offer is a huge risk (and exactly why Upwork advises to never do it).  It's a pity you learned this the hard way, but thank you for sharing it with others, that they may avoid the same problem.  Mistakes happen to all of us; the best we can do is make them productive.  🙂 

omnimiratus
Community Member

This happens a lot, actually. Freelancers' willingness to close a deal quickly (since there may be a dozen of other candidates waiting) is exploited many times this way. That's why, NEVER start a work without a contract. Even if you did for whatever reason, don't submit your work without getting paid.

I'm not sure if you can get your money at all, but your conversation history should constitute enough a proof to flag her. You probably did it already, but just in case you haven't, do communicate the Team ASAP.

I'm affraid of flagging her and get into trouble for I new I shouldn't have done the job w/o a registered offer. Besides that, I'm finding it hard to complain at the page, I relly don't like talking to bots.

robin_hyman
Community Member

After reading through these responses to Valeria, there is one important detail no one has picked up on.  She HAD a contract.  She worked on the first milestone and was paid.  The issue is she continued working WITHOUT having the second milestone FUNDED.  It was never assigned.  

Important takeaways:

1) Never work on a project without a contract

2) Never work on a fixed-price project without the milestone funded first

3) Don't believe everything you read.  Client said she would handle the milestone the following morning and had amnesia when questioned about it.  Unfortunately, you just can't trust on this platform which is why we have safety measures in place (submission tool, time tracker app).

Hope you have better luck with clients in the future.  

Robin H wrote:

Unfortunately, you just can't trust on this platform which is why we have safety measures in place (submission tool, time tracker app).

There's nothing magical about this platform, positive or negative. It's just as likely that a client or prospective client outside the platform would be untrustworthy.

Exactly, Robin H! Actually there was another issue I haven't mentioned, which should have been a red flag to me, but I ignored it because I was so anxious for working: the second milestone set was named "proofreading", but when I started working I found out it was a translation job. The list of products had clearly been submmited to machine translation which makes the text chaotic. I complained about that, she apologized saying she had been scammed herself. I thought she was naive, confused with so much job to be done, and managing so many freelancers. I was the naive one!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Valeria, 

I checked your account and can see that both milestones were already paid by the client. It would be best if you can clarify with the client if you were meant to do more work after the second milestone was released, because there may mave been miscommunication there. 

Since you are new here, I would definitely recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled. Please also pay close attention to the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

I also had to edit your post as users are not allowed to include names of persons or companies (or other identifying information) in an accusation of misconduct, incompetence or other wrongdoing in their post, or in attachements. You may refer to the Community Guidelines for more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork

I've read the rules and tips, I know I was risking, that's why I haven't started a dispute. I've tried talking to the client, but she simply cut communication. Sorry for breaking a rule myself and exposing the client's name.

meh, I woulda told her to escrow and then I'll deliver. I've done that a few times but well, yeah, so much to say but cannot

jr-translation
Community Member

Valeria F wrote:

I was translating lists of products for a Chinese client, she added a new offer after the first milestone was completed, I worked on that then she paid me. Yesterday she sent a message asking me to do more lists, although she would add the offer just later. I worked the whole night on that. Today morning, I wrote to her, asking about the new offer she promised to add, and she said sorry I don't know what you're talking about. I have the conversation printscreened, but I don't think I can start a dispute because I've worked out of contract. I'm very upset, and decided to talk about it here to warn you all: never trust!

In case you have send the translation, you should inform the client that you own the work until it was fully paid.

Looking at the clients history, she will probablyleave you with a poor feedback. Just ignore that and leave an honest feedback when you close the job. Don't vent in your feedback but keep it professional.

Spent some time reading in the forum, look at job descriptions and clients feedback before jumping onto the next job.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths