cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ID verification...ha!

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
1 of 15

So...I see this little sentence at the top of my page basically saying you can apply for an ID verification badge. Joy! 

I check up on things...Oh! Oh! 

Your ID needs an address...

Now here is the thing...in my country, your ID does not have an address on it. 

So I send an inquiry to UW...asking about this dilemma.

My answer...if I do not have the 'necessary paperwork'....with said address on the ID...I will not be able to do the ID verification.

Now here is the thing... See. I HAVE the necessary 'paperwork', i.e. a real-life, true as bob, genuine ID document... It is there. It is 100% legit. But unlike the case with the US...in our country our ID's do NOT have your address.

What does this mean for me?

Simply put, because my country's GENUINE ID's do not have your address on it, your ID is not acceptable to Upwork. Does Upwork not realise that ID's in each country may be different? That just because the identification documentation in the US may have a physical address attached to it (no idea if it is the case as I have never seen anyone's US ID in my life), this does not mean that it is the same all across the globe. 

Woe is me.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 15

Irene, I know this won't help you, but rest assured that even if your ID does have an address, the whole process is still an unnecessary nightmare. Not sure why Upwork can't figure this stuff out so it works for everyone.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 15

Virginia F wrote:

Irene, I know this won't help you, but rest assured that even if your ID does have an address, the whole process is still an unnecessary nightmare. Not sure why Upwork can't figure this stuff out so it works for everyone.

At least you're verified. Even though I'm in the US, Upwork hasn't seen fit to verify me, yet. And if it requires another video chat in addition to one I did before, then I won't mind if they take their time verifying me.

4 of 15

Mind you...living in a country with the highest murder rate in the world...not sure I want to go through the ID verification process if it means I have a map on my profile. Not sure if it would, just saying.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 15

Hi Irene,

You should still be able to complete the process. Feel free to click Get Started Button here and upload the picture following the guidelines you'll see on the pop up.

Let us know if you run into any issues with the process.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
6 of 15

Valeria, thanks for responding to the thread. I have sent you a pm.

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
7 of 15

You know, it's weird...I got a notification that I received mine, but I didn't request it...it just sort of happened, and it's more than a year since I started on UW. (Better late than never? LOL!) So...who knows!

Anyway, luckily for you-all, you can rest assured I really live where I live! Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
8 of 15

and with a little help from Valeria all went well. 

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
9 of 15

Melanie H wrote:

You know, it's weird...I got a notification that I received mine, but I didn't request it...it just sort of happened, and it's more than a year since I started on UW. (Better late than never? LOL!) So...who knows!

Anyway, luckily for you-all, you can rest assured I really live where I live! Smiley Very Happy

May I ask what you mean when you state "I received mine, but didn't request it"? 

Nobody can request verification or do it voluntarily - does that mean you went through the required process (upload ID & video call) a year ago? Or never at all? 

Thanks.

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
10 of 15

@Ela K ^ Sorry...for some reason I misunderstood that the OP was just trying to get the initial ID verification. I thought she was talking about the blue badge on a freelancer’s profile. Not sure how I got the two confused. My location obviously was confirmed before I was allowed to start taking jobs on UW. I also did the video chat.

This little badge, however, while cute and all that (the blue badge-shaped thingie with a check mark in the center), confused me as it only appeared recently (more than a year after I started taking clients on UW). I received a cheery congratulatory email and everything. I thought, “Um...cool, I guess?” and just carried on as I’d already been doing. Smiley Very Happy Apparently the difference is that now my location is somehow government-verified. Why now, I'm not sure. It's been busy this year (following what I thought was going to be a very slow start) so I just accepted that I had this badge and went on with what I was doing without really worrying too much about it either way, TBH.

ETA: On double-checking I see Irene was talking about the badge after all, and she did say she was invited to apply: "So...I see this little sentence at the top of my page basically saying you can apply for an ID verification badge. Joy!" So, no, I didn't apply for mine; it was just awarded to me.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS