Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ID verification...ha!

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
11 of 15

Melanie H wrote:

@Ela K ^ Sorry...for some reason I misunderstood that the OP was just trying to get the initial ID verification. I thought she was talking about the blue badge on a freelancer’s profile. Not sure how I got the two confused. My location obviously was confirmed before I was allowed to start taking jobs on UW. I also did the video chat.

This little badge, however, while cute and all that (the blue badge-shaped thingie with a check mark in the center), confused me as it only appeared recently (more than a year after I started taking clients on UW). I received a cheery congratulatory email and everything. I thought, “Um...cool, I guess?” and just carried on as I’d already been doing. Smiley Very Happy Apparently the difference is that now my location is somehow government-verified. Why now, I'm not sure. It's been busy this year (following what I thought was going to be a very slow start) so I just accepted that I had this badge and went on with what I was doing without really worrying too much about it either way, TBH.

ETA: On double-checking I see Irene was talking about the badge after all, and she did say she was invited to apply: "So...I see this little sentence at the top of my page basically saying you can apply for an ID verification badge. Joy!" So, no, I didn't apply for mine; it was just awarded to me.

Hm, that would mean that every US freelancer who's got a map on their profiles will get the badge 'just like that'. I thought that wasn't what's going to happen.

Could a mod please clarify?

Many thanks.

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
12 of 15

Ela K wrote:

Melanie H wrote:

You know, it's weird...I got a notification that I received mine, but I didn't request it...it just sort of happened, and it's more than a year since I started on UW. (Better late than never? LOL!) So...who knows!

Anyway, luckily for you-all, you can rest assured I really live where I live! Smiley Very Happy

May I ask what you mean when you state "I received mine, but didn't request it"? 

Nobody can request verification or do it voluntarily - does that mean you went through the required process (upload ID & video call) a year ago? Or never at all? 

Thanks.

The OP said she was invited to apply for her badge. 

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
13 of 15

Melanie H wrote:

Ela K wrote:

Melanie H wrote:

You know, it's weird...I got a notification that I received mine, but I didn't request it...it just sort of happened, and it's more than a year since I started on UW. (Better late than never? LOL!) So...who knows!

Anyway, luckily for you-all, you can rest assured I really live where I live! Smiley Very Happy

May I ask what you mean when you state "I received mine, but didn't request it"? 

Nobody can request verification or do it voluntarily - does that mean you went through the required process (upload ID & video call) a year ago? Or never at all? 

Thanks.

The OP said she was invited to apply for her badge. 

Yes, I know. I didn't phrase that correctly... What I meant was that Upwork has to contact you first - and of course it's then up to you to decide if you want to go through with it. 

Pamela K Member Since: Feb 28, 2018
14 of 15

Right you are. In France the ID has the address on the back. But the thing only lets you upload the front of the ID. I feel as if they are insisting that you submit only US identification which is kind of discrimination because actually most of the world's population is not Americans. I wanted the "identity badge" but they're discriminating against the country of my ID so that's that. Maybe I should submit the "expired" one and see if they like that better?? Our our "Permis de Conduire" which is the old paper pink tri-folded one. That works for picking up mail but for everything short of crossing borders. Or getting on a plane. I'm still in the process of putting my married name on all my French ID's, that's why I'm getting read the riot act by everything online. Facebook disabled my account, eBay, PayPal, etc. Things like that. Because I'm "suddenly" to them, changing my last name. Hell no way am I using my birth certificate as there's no way one's married name appears on that, now is there. They don't record "life events" on birth certificates anymore, not even in France unless that "life event" takes place in the same place as you were born. Which is never for those of us raised "overseas." It's like, we're born someplace and then that place never heard from us again until adulthood when it suddenly comes time for a passport from your "place of birth."

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
15 of 15

Hi Pamela,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you and that it made you feel this way. 
Upwork does not allow or support discrimination against color, race or national origin. I can see that you have followed up on your ticket directly. One of our team members will update your ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your verification.

If there's anything else I can assist you with let me know, thank you.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS