🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Ideal hourly rate for writers
Page options
madbanditroy
Community Member

Ideal hourly rate for writers

I've been thinking about this, since I have a top rated status. If someone who has that, should they charge more per hour? I have $100 per hour, by the way.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
robin_hyman
Community Member

If clients are willing to pay $100 for your work, charge $100/hour.  I started here at $40 and increased it every few new clients.  Now I'm at $90.  Most don't question since they just look at my portfolio.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

There is no such thing as an ideal hourly rate for writers.

It depends on who the writer is.

Preston H wrote:

There is no such thing as an ideal hourly rate for writers.

It depends on who the writer is.

And what they can write about. 

robin_hyman
Community Member

If clients are willing to pay $100 for your work, charge $100/hour.  I started here at $40 and increased it every few new clients.  Now I'm at $90.  Most don't question since they just look at my portfolio.  

tlsanders
Community Member

Leroy P wrote:
I've been thinking about this, since I have a top rated status. If someone who has that, should they charge more per hour? I have $100 per hour, by the way.

Being top rated means almost nothing. If you search for writers and just start paging through the options, you'll see that more than 80% of those listed in the first several pages are top rated. The lowest rate I saw for a top-rated writer was $4/hour and the highest was $99, though I personally know writers here who charge more than $100/hour. The norm in those first several pages seemed to be in the $35-60 range. 

Your value as a writer is determined by a variety of factors, such as your writing skills, your customer service, your subject matter knowledge, and your other relevant skills (such as conversion strategy and SEO). 

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Prospective clients will usually focus in on you portfolio, read the reviews, then consider the physical rating.  At least, I do.

Ah, another writer.  Kindred spirit. 

I keep my rate at $75.   As best I can tell, that is low-middle average for writers in my category and with commensurate skill sets.  Perhaps it even qualifies as 'under-priced'.  I simply decided to use economics as a competitive advantage and have more prospective clients to choose from than I can serve.  Then, I am in control of whom I work with and not the other way around.

Boomer, who loves ice cream.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members