cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If a job/project shows someone was "Hired" below the details, is that project no longer open?

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
41 of 46

@Tonya P wrote:

I don't think anything has changed. OP is still convinced that Upwork is after his $2. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsxJfcFVnpo

Remember this? Better Off Dead (1985) - Paperboy - 2 dollars

HAHAHAHA I was wondering if anyone else got my $2 references when I throw them around HAHAHAHAHAHA YES

OT: I saw his post all "I'm so thankful Upwork listened to me and did something about it and I have ideas mang!" and I looked at the title and I thought "Ummm, I do not think this is so I am confuse."

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
42 of 46

Guessing, but I think he just meant because mods had participated (sort of) in the discussion.

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
43 of 46

I've given up thinking about how Upwork  could be improved, and just find workarounds. When I see an interesting job in my job feed, I automatically open it in a new browser tab and scroll down to look at the job stats area below the job description, before reading the job description. I also glance over at the client stats area on the right. This is all information that can save me wasting time pointlessly reading a description when the job is probably not worth responding to.

johnhammell
John H Member Since: May 4, 2016
44 of 46

Sorry for my very long previous post, the bulk of it was meant to provide details and suggestions for Upwork's product team.

Summary: 18 months has gone by and this issue (which wastes significant time for freelancers) remains.

Suggested solution: Project listings should be properly notated with an accurate status along with the option to filter out closed job listings from the search results.

Jennifer M wrote:

I don't get it. Has something changed?

This is the first week or so I've been back on Upwork in over a year and as far as I can tell nothing at all has changed regarding this issue.

Tonya P wrote:

OP is still convinced that Upwork is after his $2.

Wasting time on project listings where the status is ambiguous is what I'm concerned with.

Jennifer M wrote:

OT: I saw his post all "I'm so thankful Upwork listened to me and did something about it"

The bulk of that post was intended for Upwork's product team. It was quite long and it's definitely understandable that you would not have read it all.

Tiffany S wrote:

Guessing, but I think he just meant because mods had participated (sort of) in the discussion.

Other than this one discussion, I don't know much of Upwork's community culture. I was trying to view it from a positive angle while pointing out Upwork's failure to actually take action on such a relatively simple issue to solve despite a year and a half having passed.

I consider it good that this issue is being discussed, despite no action, as opposed to not having been discussed at all (or very little) + no action.

Seeing the comments from members with the Upwork logos in their posts is good, I think. Are those people Upwork employees? Two months ago one of the Upwork reps (Vladimir) mentioned passing some of the ideas here on to the Upwork product team, so that's a plus.

Richard W wrote:

I've given up thinking about how Upwork  could be improved, and just find workarounds. When I see an interesting job in my job feed, I automatically open it in a new browser tab and scroll down to look at the job stats area below the job description, before reading the job description. I also glance over at the client stats area on the right. This is all information that can save me wasting time pointlessly reading a description when the job is probably not worth responding to.

That's what I do as well. The problem with this approach is that it is really just a guess. It's a better informed guess but still a guess nonetheless.

Why should we be left to guess about any of this?

Part of the uncertainty is that if we are guessing that projects are closed... maybe we are correct about that. But if we are in fact correct that those jobs are closed what does that then say about Upwork? It's pretty messed up to be presenting freelancers with jobs to bid on when those jobs are closed.

Upwork surely isn't presenting closed jobs to us, so they must be open and we are wrong to be skipping them, right? Nobody seems to know. Upwork not making it clear when they can easily do so is the core of the problem.

There is downside to this unclear/uncertain setup for both freelancers and clients. Freelancers end up wasting time. Some clients who may still need freelancer services do not get additional bids because they end up being skipped over.

It would be easy to simply dismiss this issue as no big deal. So what if one person wastes a few hours looking through hundreds or a thousand plus closed job listings because they are still being presented in the search results. But it is a huge deal. There is enormous cost lost by members with the value of time wasted and jobs unfilled due to being inadvertently skipped. And as Upwork scales further those costs continue to increase.

From Wikipedia: "Upwork has twelve million registered freelancers and five million registered clients." If only a small fraction of those members are active and the average time lost per individual was just a few hours per month, the time cost of Upwork not fixing this issue could be hundreds of millions of dollars... possibly even a billion plus each year.

Maybe Upwork should reconsider spending a relatively small amount of developer time to iron this issue out.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
45 of 46

Upwork has heard from many of us about this very thing. Finding a workaround will be a better solution then waiting for Upwork to change this. Any and all major possible improvement requests about this have been ignored, for lack of a better known "status". See what I just did there.

Discuss all you like, but your energy should be better spent on finding your own way to get clients. Most of us have done that, and are successful.

And this is coming from a pretty different perspective then most of the regulars here.

I only look for jobs 3-4 times a year. There is ALWAYS 20 - 30 interesting jobs that are less then 3 months old, still open, nobody hired. I bid on some, and ignore the rest. Have I gotten jobs from old ones?  A couple. Do I wish I didnt see all those jobs? Yes. But they are there, and I've learned to deal with em.

johnhammell
John H Member Since: May 4, 2016
46 of 46

@Pandora H wrote:

Upwork has heard from many of us about this very thing.

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for mentioning.

@Pandora H wrote:

Discuss all you like, but your energy should be better spent

Not likely to be much more discussion from me on this issue. Especially after learning from recent posts, including yours, that Upwork is unresponsive. I think I've succeeded at not spending too much time on discussions here with this being my 4th message posted since joining 18 months ago.

@Pandora H wrote:

Do I wish I didnt see all those jobs? Yes. But they are there, and I've learned to deal with em.

Ditto on that. Maybe Upwork will surprise us and stop ignoring the issue at some point.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS