cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invoices - Tax ID

Shaheen S Member Since: Mar 31, 2017
21 of 26

Hi Vladimir, 

If a freelancer adds his or her VAT number to their account, will it then show up on their invoices? That's not what I was told by customer support. I was told: 

"I understand that you wanted to get invoices from your freelancers for tax purposes.
Unfortunately, there's no option for us to include your freelancers' tax details on their accounts or even on the invoices for your payments.
So if you need their tax details, you have to reach out with each of your freelancers directly and request for which."

Shaheen S Member Since: Mar 31, 2017
22 of 26

Also, it doesn't matter if they are VAT registered or not. Of course, if they are, I need their VAT number. But, if they aren't, I still need some kind of identification number for every freelancer.  In order to claim an expense (in Spain, and I'm sure many other countries) you have to say *who* you paid the money to.  A name and address isn't enough, some kind of national ID number is required.  When I was a freelancer in the US working directly with clients, they always required that I include my social security number on my invoices. I believe this is standard policy for invoicing in most of the world.  Otherwise, how can you keep track of and prove who you've been making payments to? 

Manuel Jesus G Member Since: Apr 15, 2019
23 of 26

Hello, I am from Spain and i am having the same doubt. I checked some other companies and for example in fiverr you get the bill directly from the company. In uber, the same. Google Ads the same. In addiction, in Upwork we dont know how much money they pay the freelances and we can not do two separated bills. Even, how i make the payment directly to the company... I am going to use the bill and iI will add the tax id.

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
24 of 26

Hi Manuel,

For every payment/transaction an invoice is created and you can download it by going to Reports > Transactions. One of our team members will also reach out to you via ticket and assist you further if it's needed, thank you.

Untitled
Miguel C Member Since: Jun 3, 2019
25 of 26

Hello!

just trying to revive this topic as I have exactly the same doubts. I'm a registered freelancer in Spain (autónomo) and I'm still unsure how to declare my income from Upwork. So far, I've been asking my clients for their info but some of them just don't want to give it to me (despite me being very open and clear, giving them links from the Spanish tax office, etc). So in those cases I really don't know what to do. Can I issue an invoice to Upwork? That would be much easier...

Also, I'm deducting Upwork's fees as expenses... is that the way to go?

I see some of Upwork's representatives replied to this thread but I feel that they really didn't get what you guys were talking about....

Hope I'm not the only one still dealing with this....

Miguel

Mark B Member Since: Sep 20, 2015
26 of 26

Hey Miguel
No, you don't work for Upwork, you work for the client. So you can't invoice Upwork. I'm pretty sure Upwork reps will back me up on this. But yes, the fees are a legitimate business expense.
Don't worry, though, you are not alone!!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS