🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » VAT number of clients
Page options
gordanamajnaric
Community Member

Invoices without VAT numbe

Hi,

I work for several clients as a freelancer. When upwork issues an invoice with the name and adress ot my clients to me, most of them don´t show the VAT number. Upwork neither shows a VAT number issuing invoices buying connects. Please contact me asap as this is a problem for me I have to resolve with my financial advisor. I am pretty surprised as I myself had to indicate a VAT number registrating me on this plattform. Contact me asap please. 

9 REPLIES 9
LuiggiR

Hi Gordana,

The invoices for contracts you see on your transaction history are not issued to you but to your clients for the services you provide; I can confirm that your VAT ID is visible in all of your recent invoices. Remember that VAT is assessed on digital services provided by Upwork (i.e., freelancer service fees, membership fees, and Connects purchases), not on services freelancers and agencies provide their clients. 

I can confirm that your VAT ID is also visible in your invoices for Connect purchases. Keep in mind that we will not charge VAT if a freelancer or agency has a valid VAT number. You can visit this article for more information. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi,

I understand. But my tax advisor saya that the client also has to indicate a VAT number. It is not only me as a freelancer. Can you please check. I have one invoice that indicates the VAT ID or ID card number of the person I charge the service. As far as I am informed both parties have to indicate a VAT odr ID card number. Attached finde the one that shows the ID as an example of how my tax advisor says it ist correct. 

Hi,

please, can somebody give me an answer. I tried yet several times via the forum. See here https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Invoices-without-VAT-numbe/m-p/1570258/highlight/true#M8...

Hi Gordana,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi, 

thanks but I can´t reply now to that ticket because it says solved. But this is not solved. My inquiry is not about the tax number and if there has to be or not charged taxes. If upword sends me an invoice where my services are charged to a client, upwork has to make sure that all clients hava a tax number. If not, how can they pay services as a private person? This is a business plattform: I now have to ask every client to give me his tax number to than make a nother invoice by myself and send it to him. Some of them are ok with this but others will not do it because they refer to upwork, which in my opinion is totally correct as you are the ones who make the invoices. Please reopen the issue or give me a solution. By law in Spain I nedd the tax numbers and fully addresses of all clients on upwork and it is the job of upwork to include all this in the invoices it makes. I will put this again in the forum as to me it seems important to get answers. 

Hi Gordana,

We do not require clients to enter their VAT information in their Upwork account. However, invoices should include your client's company name, company owner's name, and the company's contact address. If your client has a VAT number and chooses to include it, this will be reflected on their invoices.

Regarding the collection of VAT, it is not collected from clients using Upwork to find freelancers. Upwork will not charge VAT on the amount paid from the client to the freelancer. VAT is only applied to the service fees collected by Upwork.

If you are an EU freelancer supplying services to a client in the same EU member state, you may be required to send a VAT invoice to the client for your fees. Please consult your tax advisor for guidance on this matter.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi,

I have an invoice attached and due to sensible data I will not reveal the client I work for. Please contact me personally via upwork. I need the VAT number of my client to be shown on invoices upwork makes. It is not an issue of my VAT number. I have one and it is included in the invoices upwork issues to me. I need that all the clients I work for have their VAT number in the invoices you issue for them. Please contact me asap.

Hi Gordana,

It appears you posted about this earlier in April. Please refer to my response to your last post for more information and how you should proceed. I'll merge this post with it so we can keep everything in one place. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi,

I don´t understand the answer. When I buy connects, you send me an invoice. You charge an amount to me as a buyer/client. Your VAT number is included. I had to indicate my VAT number as well and yes: you do not charge me any taxes. But this is not the issue. The issue is that everybody who charges services or receives services as a client on this plattfor and any other plattform has to indicate a VAT number to fullfil legal standards. That is exactly the information my tax adviser gives me. This is for Spain. So of course I need the VAT numbers of the clients here in upwork. Otherwise - if you don´t want to be in charge of it - upwork should issue invoices in it´s name. Anyhow this is now an issu to not work anymore with your plattform as unfortunately I can get problems with the Spanish authority. Not an acceptable solution by the way. But anyhow. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members