cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Freelancers getting the benefit of Top Rated program?

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
11 of 18

You wouldn't even need to go that far. An honest statement that your proposal has been made available for the client to view would be a big improvement.

I positively believe that would be a positive thing to do.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
12 of 18

Stephen,

Thanks as always for your positive contributions to the positivity of the forum!

Best,
Michael

p.s. Your suggestion—reframing the answer to the "Am I hidden?" question as a positive, limited acknowledgment—is an excellent idea.

prizane2006
Ace Contributor
Sujan S Member Since: Aug 14, 2015
13 of 18

@Stephen B wrote:

You wouldn't even need to go that far. An honest statement that your proposal has been made available for the client to view would be a big improvement.

I positively believe that would be a positive thing to do.

Stephen,

Thanks for the input, completely agree with you.

Sujan Sharmah

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 18

Actually, Stephen, positive moves and changes have already been made in this direction. Contractors are now told when they are on suspension. There is a notice on their screens that stays there until they are no longer under suspension, so that they know beforehand if their proposals will be completely blocked from going to a client.

I don't know that proposals are completely blocked any more for non-suspended contractors. If they are, it is very rare.

Proposals which are algorithmically adjudicated to be a bad match for a job posting ARE relegated to "hidden" status, but clients can see a number shown if any applicants are hidden. And clients can click on it to view the list of hidden applicants.

I realize that the current state of affairs isn't what many people would like to see, but it actually is an improvement in terms of transparency.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 18

@Sujan S wrote:

One of the perks on being top rated that upwork mentioned was exclusive invitations to job interviews but I'm getting none. In two months since I am here from elance I got only two profile views. ONLY TWO. One in each month, that's it. 

Do I have to make any changes to the title or the overview or send more proposals to get more profile views? I'm not even sure if I'm appearing on client's search results when they search for freelancers in my niche. 

To be honest I really don't think your profile does you any favours. Clients (or Upwork Recruiters) won't even click on your profile, or read your proposal, unless what they can see in the preview window catches their attention and makes them curious to see more.

The majority of proposal letters are never read.  Clients look at the applications and decide which candidates they want to take a closer look at.

When I see a title that says "Social Media Marketing Expert" and then the first line of the overview saying "I am a Social Media Marketing Expert dealing mostly in Social Media Marketing"  I roll my eyes and think "Are we keyword spamming or why would we repeat "Social Media Marketing" three times in the first few words?? What else would we expect a Social Media Marketing Expert to be doing if not Social Media Marketing? Open Heart Surgery? Lion Taming? Train Driving?" I'd shake my head, and move on.

It's like a writer saying "I am a writer and I mostly write...." It would be as far as I would read before moving on to the next candidate.

Personally I also really don't think your profile photo does you any favours.

If I were to be looking for someone to effectively promote my business I'd expect them to be able to effectively promote themselves, and personally (I'm sorry, I am honestly trying to help, not criticize) I don't think you are doing that.

prizane2006
Ace Contributor
16 of 18

Hi Petra,

Thanks for taking out the time to go through my profile and review it. I really do appreciate any help and       constructive criticism.  

@Petra R wrote:

When I see a title that says "Social Media Marketing Expert" and then the first line of the overview saying "I am a Social Media Marketing Expert dealing mostly in Social Media Marketing"  I roll my eyes and think "Are we keyword spamming or why would we repeat "Social Media Marketing" three times in the first few words?? 

Yes, you're absolutely right in saying that. I was trying to use the keywords again again so that when a client searches for freelancers inmy niche, my profile at least appear, till now I can't find myself till page 20 when I search for freelancers in my niche. I'm not sure though if it works and it was just an experiment.

How do I know if I'm appearing on client's search results when they search people in my niche? I'm not sure if I'm appearing on client's search results as I have got only 1 profile view!  

I constantly keep on changing the overview to edit out something that I think are longer helpful. I am hoping to make my overview permanent once someone with experience reviews my profile and says it's all good now!! I just changed the first paragraph of the overview section, let's see if this helps. 

Cheers,

Sujan Sharmah

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
17 of 18

@Sujan S wrote:

Yes, you're absolutely right in saying that. I was trying to use the keywords again again so that when a client searches for freelancers in my niche, my profile at least appear, till now I can't find myself till page 20 when I search for freelancers in my niche.

What is the point of appearing in search results if they don't click on your profile when you do appear in a search....?  Appearing in search results means absolutely nothing unless it results in being hired.

It's not being visible on a shelf that sells a product, it's being being taken off the shelf, examined, and bought.

I think people get far too hung up over search results. This is the perfect example. You got so obsessed over the whole search results thing that you tried to be found, and at the same time put up a barrier to being hired both on the jobs you applied to and the clients that may have found you when they search.

Surely the main purpose of your overview is to make sure clients read the proposals you send in when you apply for a contract? Getting invites from search results is all well and good but the jobs you apply to yourself is where the main bulk of your business comes from so being attractive to those clients is surely the priority?

Also, do I remember correctly that your profile was reviewed a while ago and they suggested you change your photo? I'm sure I remember something like that?

prizane2006
Ace Contributor
18 of 18

@Petra R wrote:

Also, do I remember correctly that your profile was reviewed a while ago and they suggested you change your photo? I'm sure I remember something like that?

Hello Petra,

The scenerio was quite different.  Someone from the community suggested that I should change my profile picture. When I put up a thread asking if the profile picture was against upworks TOS, most of the community member said the picture is okay. So I left it as it is.

I have made changes to the profile picture and the overview section. Can you check it once more and let me know if this is okay now.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS