cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Upwork accepting new freelancers in graphic/web design and adwords?

benoitlussier
Ace Contributor
Benoit L Member Since: May 16, 2016
1 of 20

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I can't find info to contact Upwork directly and I am new on Upwork, therefore any help is greatly appreciated.

I am an experienced Graphic designer and I have the certification for Google Adwords.

The first time I submitted my profile for review, I received an answer from a person telling me that there are grammatical errors in my profile. I re-checked everything, found 3 spelling mistakes and re-submitted my profile.

Since then, I added elements to my profile to raise the completion to 95%. However, every time I re-submit I get an automated answer seconds later telling me that Upwork "does not have opportunities for you based on your combination of skills and experience". However, if I browse the job opportunities, I find many jobs for which I am more than qualified.

Am I doing something wrong or if Upwork simply does not currently accept new graphic and web designers? I see a lot of profiles that have less skills than me, for example people who only do Adwords, for which I tested in the top 10%.

Is there anything that can be done? Perhaps I could do more tests to boost my profile. I know I have the skills, the opportunities are there and I believe it should be for the client to decide if they want to hire me or not, but for that I need to be given the opportunity to apply.

Thank you in advance for your help!

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 20

Benoit,

The platform is indeed crowded, they already have 10 million users they say. You seem to have a nice profile, however. I think that you should take this opportunity to polish it even more and resubmit it every now and then.

Meanwhile others may chime in with advice about how to make your profile even better.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 20

Benoit, it was a tactical error on your part to submit your profile with spelling errors.

Your profile may be marked for rejection for a period of time. I suggest you follow Rene's advice and work on improving your profile and portfolio, but only resubmit it once per month.

benoitlussier
Ace Contributor
Benoit L Member Since: May 16, 2016
4 of 20

Thank you both for your help! Is there an official response from Upwork about not accepting new applicants or about being marked for rejection for a period of time?

It just seems really strange to me. I see that they are proud to have more than 10 million member, but they also claim to have more than 4 million job opportunities. They also claim to connect the best clients with the best talents, not "best talents within the first X without even considering anyone else". If I had no skills I could understand, but I see many profiles with less skills and written in very poor English.

versailles
Community Guru
5 of 20

It seems to this Community that Upwork has very recently started doing some pre-activation filtering. This is why you see so many poor profiles, they've been here before this filtering.

Unfortunately, the place is already crowded. All the sub-standard profiles are still here, but it is possible that they are currently doing some cleaning. If this is indeed the case, you may benefit from being patient.

-----------
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 20

Very bluntly, I think Benoit's application to become a new contractor was unfortunately blocked by new computer algorithm and system policies that were designed to block the applications of people who have no business signing up as Upwork contractors.

Contractors such as Benoit are NOT the intended target of these filters, but the filters are imperfect and he got caught up on them. Hopefully, as Rene suggests, a little patience will pay off and Benoit will be able to have his account authorized. Because obviously he would be an asset to the community.

natacharodriguez
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
7 of 20

Nice profile.

Maybe one of the moderators can help.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 20

His is at least a lot nicer than the junk dump we had over the weekend.

versailles
Community Guru
9 of 20

@Jennifer M wrote:

His is at least a lot nicer than the junk dump we had over the weekend.

He's from Québec. The Québecois are nice. Don't ever try to mess with them, Jen. Never.

-----------
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 20

Quebec people are the reason I don't pay state tax, so I'll take them. If only they'd learn how to tip right. Smiley Tongue

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS