cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it okay if I get my works done by others?

Is it okay with Upwork if I get hired in a project and someone else does the job on my behalf? Or, say, if I get hired and then I hire someone else here in my locals to work on the project - would there be any problem with my account? Like account suspension or hold? Man Indifferent

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mahmud Hasan,

No, that would be a serious violation of Upwork ToS. Only freelancers who are hired by the client are allowed to work on a contract and sharing accounts is not permitted.

Untitled

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mahmud Hasan,

No, that would be a serious violation of Upwork ToS. Only freelancers who are hired by the client are allowed to work on a contract and sharing accounts is not permitted.

Untitled

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you very much for the reply. I have another question. What if I'm hired in a fixed priced project and my client ask me to manage a team for him and if he sends the payment for the whole team through my account, is it okay? I have previously got an offer in which my client wanted me to manage the social media accounts for 5 different websites. I told him that it's not possible for me to spend much time for him and managing the whole social media for 5 websites is kind of impossible for a human being. Then he asked me to hire people on behalf of him and manage a team. I rejected the offer as I was confused. What's your opinion about this matter?

Also, If any client want my email, phone or skype, what should I do?

Thanks!

Mahmud, I don't know exactly what you mean by "managing Social Media", but if revolves around content and engaging it's really not that big of a deal to handle five brands for a client by yourself. If it's rebranding then I agree it takes a while to work on it, but it can't take longer than a week to set up everything for all the accounts.

You only need good time management and a calendar. You work on the strategy once, then simply follow your own instructions, and sometimes stop, revise, and improve. It's really not that big of a deal when it comes to the time invested in it.

I have a client I handle eight platforms for (daily) and it takes me around 2h a day for all of them. In fact, I don't know if I ever handled less than 5 brands / 15 platforms a day.

So what exactly do you mean by "managing Social Media" accounts and why do you need help with it? I kind of fail to understand that.

Hi Lorenda,

Thanks for your reply. Well, I meant that my client wanted me work on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram accounts of 5 different websites. That means a total of 20 social media accounts. And by "Managing Social Media" I mean maintaining the daily posts, engagement (liking, commenting, replying comments) and running ad campaigns.  Well, you might got the caliber but, in my case I could never manage 8 platforms in 2 hrs. It's more like that I spend 2 hours on one social media account everyday. I wonder how you maintain the engagement with the audiences of 8 different accounts within just 2hrs. And if it's 15 platforms a day.... that's crazy! 

@Mahmud Hasan R wrote:

Hi Lorenda,

Thanks for your reply. Well, I meant that my client wanted me work on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram accounts of 5 different websites. That means a total of 20 social media accounts. And by "Managing Social Media" I mean maintaining the daily posts, engagement (liking, commenting, replying comments) and running ad campaigns.  Well, you might got the caliber but, in my case I could never manage 8 platforms in 2 hrs. It's more like that I spend 2 hours on one social media account everyday. I wonder how you maintain the engagement with the audiences of 8 different accounts within just 2hrs. And if it's 15 platforms a day.... that's crazy! 

It really depends on the kind of business your client is running. In my case there really can't be more than 3 posts a day on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and 1 a day on Soundcloud / Mixcloud / Youtube / whatever multimedia-related platform. As for the engaging - same thing, I keep it to a minimum, I prioritize answering to questions and leave likes / follows / random comments towards the end, for really important and "on target" actions.

For the content - what helps me a lot, though, is that I prepare a calendar with drafts at the end of the week for the following one, and I write and schedule posts, so basically during the week my interaction with the accounts mostly revolves around making sure the posts reached the target and engaging with the users.

On another hand, I'm also time-management-obsessed, so all these years I kept trying to find the most efficient methods to handle my time properly.

Now... If your client is from a much busier industry -in terms of activity on Social Media platforms, like eCommerce, as an example-, you might want to suggest him to hire someone else for the tasks revolving around engaging with the audience (or maybe even an online Customer Service representative?). This way you can only focus on the strategy and content, and another freelancer takes over the rest (meaning the actual time consuming part).

BTW - I'm sorry if my words came across differently than I meant them to, I'm definitely no WonderWoman and I'm most certainly not Speedy Gonzales, but I guess I work in a completely different industry (music / entertainment, to be more precise) than your client's, so please take that in consideration as well.

Hey,

Please take no hard feelings if you think my words were rude. I ain't also saying that you are wonderwoman or something like that but, one can certainly be smarter and can work faster than another. Well I was working for Universe Today over the last year. and you can check their social media channels. I think you'd understand how much time it'd require to actively manage all of its social media channels. And you can't put anyone in that position of managing the channels as the niche is space and astronomy. Sometimes it even took me 10 minutes to reply one comment. I also scheduled the posts on Buffer but, each post on each channel had to be unique. I had to spend a lot of time doing research, finding the hot cakes out of internet. Even though I had a Feedly database to reach the relevant blogs and article more easily and get notifications whenever a new post comes out, it took me hours to produce the contents for posting. Even I had to manage my client's twitter @fcain Managing a community this big.... it really requires a lot of time. But, I think I've got my solution. I'm planning to open up an agency here on Upwork. Then I guess I'd be able to hand over the silly tasks like liking other's posts, data entry type works to other agency members. And if I can get the works done at a cheaper rate, that means more income for me. Also it'd provide me opportunities to handle more contracts. Pretty cool it looks until now. Let's see how it works out. 

@Mahmud Hasan R wrote:

....And if I can get the works done at a cheaper rate, that means more income for me. Also it'd provide me opportunities to handle more contracts. Pretty cool it looks until now. Let's see how it works out. 

Mahmud Hasan,

Be very careful about your assumptions. Remember agency clients must directly hire the freelancers who do the actual work. This protocol is, I believe, partly intended to keep agency owners from skimming payments to skinning their contractors. (Also be aware that Upwork's Job Success Score rewards steady work, but not volume.)

Best,

Michael

Hey Michael,

Thanks for your comment. I'm not really planning to rob anybody Smiley Very Happy .  Well there's another question came to my mind. Does this Agency affect my Job Success Score?

Wow Loredana, 8 brands or 8 social media platforms?

I had to manage 10 platforms in total for 3 different brands and it would take me 20+ hours each week. Evetually I quit because it was very stressful, taking up too much time, and I wasn't getting paid enough.

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

Wow Loredana, 8 brands or 8 social media platforms?

Whoaaa! No, no, dear god no! I meant 8 Social Media platforms (for 2 brands). There's absolutely no way to handle 8 brands (x 3-4 platforms each) a day, let alone in 2h. Sorry for the missunderstanding! 🙂

Hello Loredana,

Can you tell me what do you exactly do in these two hours for the 8 accounts? And you mentioned about setting everything up in one or two weeks. I didn't understand what you meant by that. Can you share some words with me. I might try to follow your steps and improve myself.... and save time obviously! 

Spoiler
Man Very Happy

@Mahmud Hasan R wrote:

Hello @loredana-b

Can you tell me what do you exactly do in these two hours for the 8 accounts? And you mentioned about setting everything up in one or two weeks. I didn't understand what you meant by that. Can you share some words with me. I might try to follow your steps and improve myself.... and save time obviously! 

Spoiler
Man Very Happy

I guess we cross-posted, check my earlier post.

Another thing you might want to take into consideration are platforms/apps that make your SMM-life easier.

For content you can use Hootsuite (for Facebook and Twitter) to schedule your posts and engage with the audience, as you have ALL the accounts you manage in ONE spot, and OnlyPut (for Instagram) to upload or schedule uploads of pictures AND save the necessary hashtags so you don't manually enter them each and every single time.

For follow-back, likes, and comments on any platform there are tons of platforms/softwares/apps to use, I personally don't because I believe in real communication, but if the accounts you manage are overwhelmingly busy, then it's not a bad idea to do it, most people and agencies do it anyway.

And by "setting things up" I meant that I pick up a day to think exactly what I want to do the following work-week, then I write the posts and schedule them. I have Asana and Google Calendars set up so I can stick to a schedule; Besides, my clients can check everything that happened or is about to happen at any time on any of the platforms.

It's really not rocket science if you're well organized and you know exactly what you want and how to get there.

Hi Mahmud Hasan,

In that scenario, you'd need to create an Agency profile and invite people you want to work with to create Upwork freelancer accounts and join your Agency. Then, the client would need to hire all the Agency contractors who would work on the contract and manage those social media accounts. The payment would be made to your Agency account and you would need to disburse the payments to your team members separately, outside Upwork.

You can find more information in this Help Article and in the following threads: here and here.

Regarding your second question, you can share your personal contacts with clients but I'd advise you to copy all the files and communication into the message room after every conversation/chat, and ask your client for acknowledgement, in order to keep a record in case a problem arises.

Untitled

Hey Vlad,

Thanks man! This was so much helpful. I think I'd open up a new agency on Upwork. Wish me good luck and break a leg!

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

@Mahmud Hasan R wrote:

Hey Vlad,

Thanks man! This was so much helpful. I think I'd open up a new agency on Upwork. Wish me good luck and break a leg!

Do not make a third mistake and open a new account. You can also install an agency profile on your account, but never install a second account! 

@Mahmud Hasan R wrote:

....What if I'm hired in a fixed priced project and my client ask me to manage a team for him and if he sends the payment for the whole team through my account, is it okay? I have previously got an offer in which my client wanted me to manage the social media accounts for 5 different websites. I told him that it's not possible for me to spend much time for him and managing the whole social media for 5 websites is kind of impossible for a human being. Then he asked me to hire people on behalf of him and manage a team....

Mahmud Hasan,

Vladimir has laid out the correct course of action. The direct answer to your question is:

"No, no, a thousand times no! It is not OK"—except by using the procedure as laid out by Vladimir and clarified by Margarete.

Best,

Michael

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All, 

Please, note that a few comments have been removed from this thread and it's been closed for further replies.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS