cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It happened again! The client wants each candidate to edit a chapter and then she'll pick one. Sure.

Highlighted
Brian G Member Since: Dec 11, 2011
1 of 5

It happened again. I just had a potential book editor client propose getting her book edited for free. She said she wanted to give each person a different chapter to edit and then pick the best one. Yeah, right. There was no indication this would be a paid trial. Grrr!!! She hasn't got back to me yet but I'm not looking forward to the ensuing exchange.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Craig A Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
2 of 5

Have you reported her, as that is against TOS?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
3 of 5

Meh.

Upwork has "valued clients" that literally send out thousands of invites for a ONE WEEK "non-paid" test that people actually take them up on.

Imagine taking a project, creating x tasks, "farming" it out to hundreds of "eager applicants", paying / hiring (maybe) one person.

You now have managed to get hundreds of man-hours of work for free.

Took months to finally block invites from these types.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 5

Yes... it happened again...

As long as there are contractors here who are dumb enough to work for free for scammer "clients" clients like the original poster mentioned... then there will be "clients" who try to get their work done this way.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 5

Hi Brian,

Requesting freelancers to work for free is against Upwork ToS. Please, flag the job as "Asking for free work" and the team will review and take appropriate actions.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS