Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's been months with almost no job invitation

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
21 of 26

Ela K wrote: 

But the invitation system is not broken for all freelancers.

When I apply for jobs in one of my fields where clients have sent out invitations, there is basically a group of 4-6 freelancers that get invited almost every single time. I don't know whether they are top rated etc. and I couldn't care less.

This is the very point. It is just that the system is now selecting for those 4-6 freelancers that it deems more desirable. Perhaps they are a few of the ones that qualify to receive disproportionately more jobs. This system of invitations is inherently biased, as well as broken. Therefore it would be unwise to bet on it. Furthermore in your example, even though the system invites these 4-6 freelancers consistently, you are able to apply - and compete.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
22 of 26

@Setu M wrote:

This is the very point. It is just that the system is now selecting for those 4-6 freelancers that it deems more desirable. 

When I want to hire a designer I really DO NOT want to be shown those 4-6 data entry clerks who are not qualified and that is exactly what happened to me.

Highlighted
Community Guru
23 of 26

@Setu

How about thinking about this from the clients point of view. I wantd to hire somone awile ago for a job. I was shown inappropriate people for the job. On top of that I got flooded with over 60 applications, 40 of them in the first 1/2 hour. 

It used to be different when I went to hire someone. I could make a job private and go with the suggested freelancers and within an hour I would have hired someone. Now it's a nightmare and I ended up going somewhere else. 

How fair do you think that is? Clients pay your wages and if we start leaving this platform for better pastures you most certainly will not have to worry about fairness for freelancers.

As for Alexsandra...I merely asked her to think of someone other than herself. Myoptic views like that are not helpful.

I'd like to see client stay on Upwork...not start to go somewhere else for freelancers.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
24 of 26

Jean, I have no issues with your reply. Everyone here has accepted that search is broken, that has now trickled down to invitations. Only that majority of clients do not ask the system to select clients, and even less actually search manually in its truest form. So while I accept your response, it is limited to a small portion of the client base.

The system was already designed to hide some profiles, suggest others, rearrange the list in the order it deems best based on whatever criteria etc.

I would much rather a well redesigned system which enables a fair chance to all qualified, search is only one component of that. Invitations and algorithms which decide who is more relevant (based on earnings, top rated or other skewed metric) is undesirable.

***Edited to add***

When the connects system was introduced, most of the regulars here saw an improved system in the job application process. The system experienced a significant decrease in unqualified applicants, easier hiring, and more confidence in bidding. When I lost a bid for a job, I could actually nod my head to the other applicants and say yes, some are more deserving of the job. That is the area where focus should have been placed. Not in algorithms, and preferences, and top rated perks, which broke the system. There was a better way, in which fairness could also have been maintained.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
25 of 26

Jean (edited to add who I am replying to)

My comments are from my point of view, whether you agree or disagree with me is up to you.

My posts are never personal so I would appreciate a different tone in future, or none to my comments.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
26 of 26

@Aleksandra K wrote:

Jean (edited to add who I am replying to)

My comments are from my point of view, whether you agree or disagree with me is up to you.

My posts are never personal so I would appreciate a different tone in future, or none to my comments.

Thank you.

I understand Aleksandra but please don't make light of what in the past has been an important feature  (invitations) to many of us here. A large number of us really liked getting invitations and they were very important to us. You seemed to make it sound as if it's not big deal.

I understand it's not a big deal to you but it is a big deal to many of us who bill at high rates.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS