Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS X Closing Open contracts - Double checking live support info

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Fernando S Member Since: Mar 12, 2015
1 of 11

Dear monitors,

I currently have 5 open contract from 2 different clients who have been unresponsive for months. My JS was never 100% (it flotes betwen 92-94% every two weeks) and I think it was because of this fact.

It is now at 91% and I started to worry.

Anyway, I contacted live support asking for suggestions about this. If I should end the contracts myself or not.

What they said was: Open contracts DO NOT affect Job Score Success if THEY WERE PAID.

So, could you please confirm that this is true? Was customer support accurate with their answer? 

If so, it doesn't actually matter if contracts stay open or if I close them myself, does it? Nothing will change?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 11

Hi Fernando,

I see our agent posted a slightly different reply than the one you referenced in your comment, and did instruct you to close the open contracts if your clients have been unresponsive.

I can confirm that closing contracts which were paid for shouldn't negatively affect freelancers' Job Success Score, unless there is a pattern of ended contracts without feedback. We recommend closing dormant contracts if clients don't respond to your request to close them.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 11

I'm sorry Vladimir, but he said exactly what I mentioned in my first post, I just used different words. I believe that copying and pasting my chat with live support here is against forum rules.

What he/she basically said was that contracts that have been opened for a long time, but are paid DO NOT affect JSS negatively.

I just want to double check this information. So, does it affect it or not? Because if this is true, it doesn't really matter if I close the contracts myself or leave them open.

And as you said: "I can confirm that closing contracts which were paid for shouldn't negatively affect freelancers' Job Success Score, unless there is a pattern of ended contracts without feedback." Could you please clarify what is a pattern of ended contracts for upwork?

I have 4 open contracts from the same dormant client. If I close them all, will it characterize as a pattern? 4 contracts is very different from a loose/random one.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 11

Hi Fernando,

We will not be able to share exact numbers or percentages here, in order to prevent the abuse of the Job Success score. As Vladimir pointed out we recommend closing inactive contracts if the client is unresponsive as idle contracts start affecting your Job Success score after a while.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
5 of 11

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Fernando,

We will not be able to share exact numbers or percentages here, in order to prevent the abuse of the Job Success score. As Vladimir pointed out we recommend closing inactive contracts if the client is unresponsive as idle contracts start affecting your Job Success score after a while.

Think about what you wrote.  "....If the CLIENT is unresponsive as idle contracts affect YOUR Job success score"

Why do freelancers get punished if CLIENTS are unresponsive? 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
6 of 11

As Vladimir pointed out we recommend closing inactive contracts if the client is unresponsive as idle contracts start affecting your Job Success score after a while.

Valeria, so it does affect JSS after all? Even if the client  has paid for the job?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Armela C Member Since: Jun 6, 2015
7 of 11

Vladimir,  I think, there are   real  problems and concerns  that are  posted here.   But  status  of contracts  is one thing.  It is  Administratve.   Job Sucess  is automatically entered by a  database ,  without  human  intervention, in some  programs (or  should be made) depending  on 0 or 1, a null or  true,  such  being queried by  1Contract Open 2 Contract  Close .  Im inclined to  think it  the next  query  pointer would:  1. Admin   2. Automatic. Therefore,these are  iinternal  admin  affairs.  Its  supposed to  be SOP.  The staff  or  freelancers concentrate on thier  open projects  and  dont have  to deal  with  database  admin.   These  are unnecesary  stresses.   

I did not  quiet  understand  about another  subject being Closing of  Contract   and Client Feedback,  Isnt this  automatic but optional to  Client and  Freelancer?  Rationally, the  Admin gauges the total clientele satisfaction.  A feedback is not  supposed to be mandatory to come  out  in  the  freelancers  page, in fairness to  the Freelancer  who  serviced the  project,  for some  privacy and public  reasons, the Admin protects  rights  of  both client and freelancer.  And on  top of that, the  image  of the business  as  a  whole,  both the  inflow of  jobs and the  people  offering their services,  

Because  some posts  are kinda confusing.  Isnt the Admin  clear on  Score Cards?  Concerns are  expected.  Problems sometimes drift the solutions from  the paired Contract  Closing-Job Success  or Cosing of Conract-Customer  Feedback.  One is Admin  and the   is Quality Control  (Client Satisfaction and Freelancer Delivery)...  Modes  and tenders of  delivery  come in  different  forms.  

I should say, no need to worry unnecessarily if  I were   the  Admin.

(note : Ive read  a  few feeds on  this issue  that i commented)

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
8 of 11

Dear  Everyone!

Last  nite,   I made a  Chat  Room,   next  to  your Coffee Room ,  Valeria, and named  it  Chat  Table.   I finally  got  it  back  and woke  up  to it.   In  as  much as Clients  are  as  important, touching  base  with co-workers  is  as  important duing  the  day, with or  without project.    Im  inviting  you  guys to  my  Chat  Room,  You're  welcome   anytime for  a  Coffee  Break,  or  to  just  chill  ater  a  hard  day's  work.  Thanks  Valeria. 

Fernando,  if  you can  read  this,  I  didnt  receive  your email last  nite.  There  have  some  sort  of  check  and  balance  too,  perhaps.   Im  already  logged  in but I had  to  log  in  again on this  post.   Ill  try to  find my  way  thru this  all.  Again,  descoupe,  senor , por minha requestar  ajuda   para otro problemas  sistema.   Obrigada,  senor.  Come and  feel  free  to drop  in my  chat  room. 

One of the moderators  also kindly  helped  me  with  answers   to my  question, Ms  Juvy  Ann...

Thanks everyone.   The  back-end  seem to  be  on issues  that  come  up .  I think  on  some  issues,  with  interfaces and  page  linking,  the  Websmaster  Group   is  working  well  coz I  found  my  Chat  Room  this  morning  right  o my  Upwor  Page. 

Good Day!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
9 of 11

@Armela C wrote:

Dear  Everyone!

One of the moderators  also kindly  helped  me  with  answers   to my  question, Ms  Juvy  Ann...

lol. I'm not a MOD, Armela.  I am a contractor like yourself. It's good to know that your issue was finally or about to be resolved.  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
10 of 11

That's  cool! (smiles  back).  

That  was  a  real  fast  response  (thought to be a  moderator but  a  community leader,  can you be two  in one? ),  lol!

Have  a  real  Good  Day at  work today,  Juvy-Ann. Thanks  again;.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS