Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: JSS

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Patricia S Member Since: Sep 28, 2016
881 of 4,789

Yikes, so sorry to hear about your sneaky client. The private feedback is just insane. What I think UW should do is not utilize private feedback unless you have more than XX incidents involving a score below a certain threshold. It would account for dishonest clients and not penalize good workers who get brought down by one bad review (that the worker can't even see and try to improve accordingly). 

I've submitted 10 proposals in the last week or so, with no responses. Usually, I'd get some hits back. It may be coincidence, or it may be my score--I'll never know. I know I'm getting a lot of invitations for work well below my posted rate. 

I basically use UpWork to fill in because it's easy. Or it was. Once it becomes too difficult to find clients here, or once I have to take jobs that don't meet my financial needs, I might as well go cold pitch clients and look for other job postings elsewhere. It was bad enough when they raised their fees to 20 percent, but the punitive JSS and favoring clients in most conflicts is really doing them a disservice in the long run because high-end workers will leave. 

Thanks for the encouragement!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Anton A Member Since: Dec 12, 2017
882 of 4,789

You very welcome and best of luck to you!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Brittany J Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
883 of 4,789

My JSS dropped to the low 80s at one point too even though I didn't have any negative public feedback, and it absolutely had an impact on getting jobs. 

One job I had written a proposal for responded saying that my portfolio looked great but they didn't understand why my success score was so low. Such a fun conversation trying to explain all the factors that go into the JSS when I didn't even fully understand it myself. 

Obviously not all clients will care, but I think a lot do care. Otherwise they wouldn't bother requiring your success score to be over 90% on job posts. 

My main issue with private feedback is how do we know what to improve on as a freelancer if the client is leaving a dishonest 5 star public review but basically saying the opposite with the private feedback. It just seems so horribly deceptive. 

Highlighted
AHMED H Member Since: Apr 27, 2016
884 of 4,789

We cannot rely on if they care or not!!

There must be a practical solution

If 99% care and 1% are not cares they will still can destory your profile

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
885 of 4,789
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
886 of 4,789

I posted this above, but it might work better if UW only resorted to using negative feedback for your JSS if you have a certain number of negative private reviews below a certain score. That would eliminate the case where an otherwise good worker is getting hurt by one bad client. Multiple bad private reviews would be a more reliable indicator that the worker has problems. 

Highlighted
887 of 4,789

@Patricia S wrote:

I posted this above, but it might work better if UW only resorted to using negative feedback for your JSS if you have a certain number of negative private reviews below a certain score. That would eliminate the case where an otherwise good worker is getting hurt by one bad client. Multiple bad private reviews would be a more reliable indicator that the worker has problems. 

It can be, but not in all cases

There is chance where both client and freelancer have a good history however there might a case where both are not well communicated or as I said some of them didn't get the morning Coffe

The solution is simply if we reach that case there must be a well studdied Dispute process that consider every aspect on the project. They should check Message History, the service that being provided and the Initial job requirements.

Highlighted
888 of 4,789

Why my reply is deleted!! I hope its just "system error"!!!!

In fact, its even worse than that

I believe you didn't yet experiencing the worst part even you might have in upwork

Client can also leave negative feedback and don't pay just because he "think" he didn't get what he originally asked. He will leave negative feedback and didn't pay a cent and you might worked for weeks or month!

There is more worse than that in fact. The worst part is something that upwork call "Dispute" and this is the most funny joke you will ever hear in upwork. Dispute team will say that we won't read the project requirements or the message history or even check the delivered product! I've no idea what they then doing in fact! They just can move you to something like court case and the initial payment is about 500$ or close I don't really remember, its a crime scene! I'm not Mark zuckerberg BTW, I'm just a simple developer!

Another worse part!! Your profile will badely affected by "unfair" (I'm trying to be polite) client. You might work for 9 years on Elance and then moved to upwork with the merge process and after 9 years of being 100% recommended and never take any client rights you might end up by your score down to 98% just with only one client that simply click a link because he might didn't get his coffe on the morning!! Hah!!! What a funy "Joke"?! (I'm still trying to be polite)

We all gonna lose cause of this badely managed issue. I do more and more work for clients without payment just because if I simply says to the client that he didn't metnioned this features on the original post he might close the project and give negative feedback! How I could work on that envoirment while I'm worrying just to say "no" to the client that didn't get the Morning Coffe!

This is happened to me and I'm currently doing twice over the job requirement because I'm worrying that the client give me negative feedback for no reason. My score is always 100% from 9 years ago and its simply got 2% down just for one client that get a complete product with exactly the features he asked, it even get a high quality well coded product not but he simply burn years of work with one click

Highlighted
889 of 4,789

LOL I was worry from client to give me negative feedback with no reason now I start to be worry from upwork to treat me bad !! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

This is really bad. Why they simply didn't help us all do better job? We all will get more good business to do. I really didn't expect that. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
890 of 4,789

I agree: scope creep out of fear of bad feedback or disputes or chargebacks is out of control here. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS