cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Offer fixed price at hourly contract. Unverified or Funded ??

Community Leader
Alexandr M Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
1 of 10

I asked client with hourly contract for fixed price. Usually clients make copy of job, but with fixed price, than make job offer for fixed price job. But not this time. This time he made me fixed price offer for his hourly job Smiley Surprised

Offer I've got:

Related Job Opening: _jobname_  (i have clicked - it's hourly contract)

Budget: $75.00 (unverified)

In messeges I've got:

Milestone 1: "_jobname_" - $75(funded) - Due Jan 25, 2016

Does it funded and covered by escrow protection? Why it's marked (unverified) instead of (funded) ?

UPDATE: anybody who goes to write there personal opinion please mark it as opinion. I don't like fake facts. If you think so, but don't really know, please, mark it is your opinion, so I will know that it is likely true, but probably not.

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
2 of 10

@Alexandr M wrote:

I asked client with hourly contract for fixed price. Usually clients make copy of job, but with fixed price, than make job offer for fixed price job. But not this time. This time he made me fixed price offer for his hourly job Smiley Surprised

Offer I've got:

Related Job Opening: _jobname_  (i have clicked - it's hourly contract)

Budget: $75.00 (unverified)

In messeges I've got:

Milestone 1: "_jobname_" - $75(funded) - Due Jan 25, 2016

Does it funded and covered by escrow protection? Why it's marked (unverified) instead of (funded) ?

Upwork allows clients to fund a milestone even though their payment method is unverified (which is pretty stupid in my opinion). What this means is that you are not protected. If there is something wrong with the client's payment method, you won't be paid.

If you want to make sure you have escrow protection, you need to tell the client that the payment method needs to be verified.

Community Leader
3 of 10

@David G wrote:

Upwork allows clients to fund a milestone even though their payment method is unverified (which is pretty stupid in my opinion). What this means is that you are not protected. If there is something wrong with the client's payment method, you won't be paid.

If you want to make sure you have escrow protection, you need to tell the client that the payment method needs to be verified.

On fixed price contracts I never ask clients for verification of payment method. It's not required.

Does "funded" means that client have already moved this amount of money to Upwork? Even at hourly job with fixed price contract? If yes, why I don't protected? 

Community Leader
4 of 10

2 hours of work - I simply accepted. But I require to know for future.

Now it apperas in job list:
$75.00 (unverified) for Milestone 1
(due Jan 25, 2016)

But in messages it:
Milestone 1: "_jobname_" - $75.00 (funded) - Due Jan 25, 2016

I have opinion that (funded) - means that client already payed money to Upwork's escrow, and it does not matter how he payed - by verified method or not. ??

And also I've got email from Upwork that contract started and payment not covered by Upwork Hourly protection. I don't need hourly protection anyway - I need only escrow protection.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 10

You do NOT have Escrow protection.

yes the milestone has been funded but it can only be released to you after the client's payment method has been verified. 

In in the unlikely case that verification fails, or the client is a crook playing with a stolen credit card, the money in escrow goes back to the payment method it was taken from. You do not get paid.

This is MOST unlikely so just make sure the client verifies the card BEFORE you do any work.

Community Leader
6 of 10

yes the milestone has been funded but it can only be released to you after the client's payment method has been verified. 

Are you sure?? There are a lot of clients with unverified payment method and a lot of jobs done for them and payed by them.

For example: **edited for Community Guidelines**
Payment Method Not Verified

Over $30,000 Total Spent

Community Guru
7 of 10

@Alexandr M wrote:

Are you sure?? There are a lot of clients with unverified payment method and a lot of jobs done for them and payed by them.

For example: XXX
Payment Method Not Verified

Over $30,000 Total Spent

Yes OF COURSE I am sure. I am not in the habit of making statements unless I am sure.

In your example the client will have HAD a verified payment method, but RIGHT NOW does not (expired card for example)

It is impossible for money to be released from Escrow unless the payment method that funded the Escrow is verified. So if you do the work, don't hand it over until the payment method is verified.

If you hand over the work and the client does not verify the payment method that was used to fund the milestone you will NOT get paid and the money WILL go back to the payment method.

Community Leader
8 of 10
Petra R, thank you.

@Petra R wrote:

So if you do the work, don't hand it over until the payment method is verified.

Than I will not met deadlines)). 

I hope I can submit work even if client's payment method not verified and wait while he verifies it.?

Community Guru
9 of 10

Of course you CAN do so, but if the client does not verify their payment method ,which is usually unlikely, but could happen, you will not get paid.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
10 of 10

Alexandr,

In my opinion, your deadline has to take a back seat to the client's deadline for verifying payment method. You enforce your deadline by not working until both funding and verification are in place, After that point, you negotiate a new deadline for the client's deliverable.

Fact:

If you begin work before both verification and funding are in place, you risk working for free.

Fact:

The method your client used to convert the job from hourly to fixed price is normal, though @Upwork has not seen fit to document it—leaving many clients and contractors under the mistaken impression that unawarded jobs have to be canceled and reposted in order to convert from hourly to fixed price.

Best,

Michael

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS