🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job Success Score dropped
Page options
9bf545e3
Community Member

Job Success Score dropped

Hello,

I believe there's been a mistake made in the calculation of my job success score. It was previously at 78% and I just successfully completed two jobs were I was given good feedbacks and a five star rating. Yet, after my account was updated on the 29th, it dropped to 74%. I've been working hard to get my JSS back to 80% and I believe there's been a mistake. What do I do?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LuiggiR

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

514 REPLIES 514
12153b46
Community Member

Hello,

I have been involved in a long-running contract with a client that I am on good terms with.

However, the milestones have a tendencey to drag on, and this is mainly because it has been a long and complicated task that also relies on input from other freelancers.

On this occasion, the last milestone went past the 90-day mark, and so the contract has been automatically closed by the Upwork app, and I now have the option to either file dispute (which I am not going to do), or issue a refund.

I have no problem issuing the refund, as I am pretty sure the client will either send the amount through as a bonus, or re-open a new contract/milestone.

However, my concern is primarily about how this will affect my JSS. I'm sure I read something a while ago about freelancers noticing a drop in their JSS after either issuing refunds. Will this happen to me, and is there anything myself or the client can do to stop it?

I realise that there is probably a simple answer to my query, but you must appreciate that I have not been in a situation like this before, or at least not for a few years...

Furthermore, the job is unfinished, but figure that it will probably be best to either wait until the contract is re-opened or a new one set up, before continuing with the work. Please let me also know if this is the correct procedure.

All the very best and thank you for reading my post.

Hi Mirza Muhammad Suf,

Many factors go into your JSS calculation, including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, the weight of the contract, etc. We won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how your score is calculated here.
~ Joanne
Upwork
efecd16d
Community Member

how

1ba28bb5
Community Member

I can only add a maximum of 11 skills to my profile.
Does anyone know why this problem occurs?

Hi Igor,

Do you experience any errors when you try adding more skills?  If you could share a screengrab of the error you see on your end, that'd be really helpful. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Luiggi,

Thank you for your reply.

I attached screenshot.

And one proposal: My JSS is not correct. It must be over 92%.

- Igor

Hi Igor,

Thank you for your response and confirmation. However, I tried and can't seem to replicate the issue you're describing. I was able to add a maximum of 15 skills to your profile. Could you please try using a different browser? You may also consider clearing your cache and cookies. Then log back into your account and try adding more skills to your profile.

Additionally, many factors go into your JSS calculation, including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, the dollar weight of the contract, etc. We won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how your score is calculated here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
1ba28bb5
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

Thank you for your answer.

Regarding my JSS issue, I know the JSS calculation method.

(successful contract outcomes - negative contract outcomes) / total outcomes

total outcomes = $4020

negative contract outcomes = $50

successful contract outcomes = $3970

JSS = (3970-50)/4020 = 0.975

Please review my JSS and update it asap.

Best wishes,

Igor

c0c6de28
Community Member

The process for how the JSS score is calculated is so vague that I just don't know what the potential effect will be from negative feedback.

I have a 100% JSS score. I'm top rated plus, and have been for a while.

I just had to let a project go due to some medical issues. Namely, hospitalized and have just a few too many projects for me to handle in my recovering state. Mostly, I want to use what precious time I am able to work to continue working with my regular clients. I took on a new client about 3 weeks ago, before the health issues really took hold, and now I cannot continue the project.

I left a message for said client, haven't heard back yet (only been a few minutes, though), and I won't be accepting any money from them at all. I apologized profusely and explained the entire situation.

The actual calculation process being a complete mystery, I just don't know how badly negative feedback is going to affect my score. I mean, worse case scenario, they're completely unreasonable and give me a 0. How much will that drop my score?

(My last feedback removal was a couple of months ago from a client who apparently didn't agree that we weren't a good fit despite the fact that she looked at my sample, agreed this is what she wanted, and then attempted to change every single thing about the work I presented her that was reflective of the sample I gave her. I politely told her that we weren't a good fit, took no money from her for the work already completed, she agreed, and proceeded to bomb my JSS score. So, unfortunately, that's off the table for the next month or so.)

Yep, it is a secret. Noone know for sure.

It is depend from amount. What is your income for last year and what deal amount?

One trick: explain all and close contract yourself. Client able to leave feedback but not must. I think that with full refund client will ignore that.

Get well!

Yeah, I ended up explaining everything and closing the contract. My JSS hasn't been updated yet, so I'm keeping an eye on it.

I am sorry you are having health issues and wish you a speedy recovery. 

Your health is MORE important than some JSS score that a person you don't even know gives you.

Of course, that's why I needed to scale back on the work, but I still don't want my reputation tarnished when it's time for me to come back to it and pick up more work. Health is important, but this is my livelihood.

shibjip_destinex
Community Member

Hi

This is my first post in here last 2 weeks ago my JSS was 100% but today when I check it showing 90%. What is the reason for JSS Dropped? Please let me know

Hi Shibji,

I'm sorry to hear about your score drop, but we're afraid we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. Factors such as private and public feedback, the dollar weight of the projects you've completed, and the long-term relationships with your clients can impact your overall score. You may want to check this article to learn more.
~ Luiggi
Upwork

Can I just know any client give me internally bad review? If yes I don't want their name just want to know how many clients give me? How many work to complete my 100% success rate?

shibjip_destinex
Community Member

Can I just know  any client give me internally bad review? If yes I don't want  their name just want  to know how many clients give me? How many work to complete my 100% success rate?

7fbbb611
Community Member

Please let me know how to fix this problem as soon as possible. I need honest suggestions guys.

See if you can figure out why the clients gave you a lower rating. Use the Academy for more information on improving proposals and job conditions.

All you can do now, is to try to fix what went wrong, and do the best job anyone can. Make sure you are applying to jobs where you hold every requirement. Also, the more professional your profile, the more professional clients you will attract. The Academy will give you ideas on how to have a great profile. You're wasting the first sentence of ta search by using greetings, etc. That first, short sentence is all the clients see in a search.

aldin_avdic
Community Member

Hello,

My JSS is decreased to 69% after closing last contract even if I got 5.0 star feedback and also contacted client about private feedback and he said that he didn't give any negative star or comment. Reason of closing contract is after it's paused, no longer needed. Thanks in advance for your support.

Aldin A.

Hi Aldin,

I’m sorry to hear about your score drop, but we're afraid that we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. Factors such as private and public feedback, the dollar weight of the projects you've completed, and the long-term relationships with your clients can have an impact on your overall score. You may want to check this article to learn more.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
muhammad-asad-26
Community Member

𝐆𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐔𝐩𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤 𝐓𝐞𝐚𝐦,

𝐋𝐞𝐭 𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐚 𝐬𝐮𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐦.

𝐖𝐞𝐥𝐥, 𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐚 𝐟𝐞𝐰 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐈 𝐚𝐦 𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐛𝐞𝐝 𝐝𝐮𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐚 𝐟𝐞𝐰 𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐮𝐞𝐬, 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩 𝐢𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐪𝐮𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐝!

𝐌𝐲 𝐛𝐚𝐝𝐠𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐠𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐲 𝐉𝐒𝐒 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝟏𝟎𝟎% 𝐭𝐨 𝟖𝟖% 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐮𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐚 𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐥𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐝 𝐫𝐞𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐰 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐚 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰 𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫. 𝐀𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖𝟖% 𝐉𝐒𝐒, 𝐈 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐣𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐬 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐉𝐒𝐒 𝐢𝐬 𝐮𝐧𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡 𝟗𝟎 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐛𝐚𝐝𝐠𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐲 𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐛𝐥𝐠𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐤𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐬𝐨 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧.

𝐋𝐨𝐨𝐤, 𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐢𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐤𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐮𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐩𝐩𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐉𝐒𝐒 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐮𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐢𝐬 𝐞𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐲 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐡 𝐚 𝐥𝐨𝐭.

𝐈 𝐫𝐞𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐨 𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐱 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐮𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐨𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐮𝐧𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐦𝐲 𝐉𝐒𝐒 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐨 𝟖𝟖% 𝐝𝐮𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐚 𝐛𝐚𝐝 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐟𝐢𝐱𝐞𝐝 𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝟒 𝐣𝐨𝐛𝐬 𝐝𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝟓 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐝𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐲 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐡.

𝐇𝐨𝐩𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐮𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭 𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐮𝐞, 𝐬𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩 𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐠𝐫𝐨𝐰!

𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤 𝐲𝐨𝐮,

Hi Muhammad,

I'm sorry to learn about your score drop. I'm afraid we won't be able to go into detail on how specific contracts have affected your score. I want to clarify that even if a client changes their feedback on a contract, they won't be able to edit the private feedback they originally left. 

Factors such as private and public feedback, the dollar weight of the projects you've completed, and the long-term relationships with your clients can impact your overall score. You may want to check this article to learn more.
~ Luiggi
Upwork

Appreciate your kind assistance,

Alright, I understand that.

Well, I have completed a job last week and it will be added to my JSS next week as you're updating JSS every two weeks, can it be possible that you can add it to my JSS now so that my eligible weeks stop going down as this not my fault!

4b5bc31a
Community Member

Hello,
I had JSS of 88 percent but i didnt do any work and it dropped to 59 percent. I dont have any new feedbacks i dont know why this happend?

Hi Luka,

Your Job Success Score that is seen on your Upwork profile is updated every two weeks. Your score may also change because it is based on a rolling time window. We calculate your score using different time frames and show the best score from your 6-month, 12-month, and 24-month JSS. Sometimes, a contract can fall out of that calculation, making your score change a lot without any recent activity. For example, a contract that is 6-months and one day old will not count in your 6-month window anymore.

- Pradeep

Upwork
cfb12b67
Community Member

2 weeks ago, on the 18th of February, my JSS went down to a 74% due to a 2.6 star review.

Since then, I have received 2, 5 star reviews which should have boosted my JSS score, instead it dropped it down even further to a 71%.

Why is that so?

I have looked at every article and I am eligible  to a boost in my JSS, not a downgrade.

Hi Shahmir,

I'm sorry to learn about your score drop. I'm afraid we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. Your JSS can change because:

- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- You receive positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.
- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

You can find more information under the "Why did my JSS change?" section in this article.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
2a5a0253
Community Member

Hello, I am tirelessly trying to figure out what's going on. I am fairly new to Upwork (approximately 3 months). I have had all successful projects and 5-star reviews. The entire time, I've had a 100% JSS score. However, I woke up this morning and my JSS score is now at 84%, even though I have all positive reviews!

I am very troubled by this, as I have invested so much time, energy, and money into Upwork so far.

I am committed to creating a positive experience for all of my clients on Upwork, and this sudden drop in my JSS score is extremely troubling.

Please advise. 

You cannot know your private feedbacks, it is hidden.  8\10 = 80% JSS. Some clients think that 7\10 is good feedback. All your 5 stars is ts cool but JSS calculating in other ways.

Thank you Mykola for your insight. Yes, I can imagine that it's very frustrating as a freelancer when a client leaves a wonderful public review but can just as easily sabotage their JSS with private feedback.

I wonder if Upwork took a poll from freelancers on whether they like the private feedback ability to hinder your JSS score or not... what the results would be. 

Hi, I have projects with 5 star ratings but still not getting any traction. I am having the same experience without accepting any new offer my JSS has dropped significantly. I dont know what is going on with Upwork lately. This is not acceptable at all.

Yes, Muhammad, this seems to be the case with so many. I am learning that so many things "play into" your JSS score. It's tough as a freelancer for the algorithm to be so rigorous because most are doing all they can to manage the projects properly ensuring the success of the project and satisfaction of the client. 

4b5bc31a
Community Member

Hello,

I have 6 jobs on my profile.2 of them are left with no review , 3 are five star , and one is 4 star.How can my jss be 64 percent?Earlier it was 88 but idk why this happend?

Hi Luka,

I'm sorry to learn about your score drop. While we can't share how specific contracts affect your score, please know that your JSS can change because:

- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- You receive positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.
- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

You can find more information under the "Why did my JSS change?" section in this article.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
muhammad-asad-26
Community Member

Dear Upwork!

In first let me thank you for providing such a nice platform.

Well, my JSS is dropping without any reason and you can see everyone is complaining same and I believe there must be a technical issue please fix it at your earliest to help each other grow!

Best,

Private Feedback that you can't see can drop the JSS.

6fa63d3d
Community Member

I had a JSS of 99%, and all of my jobs went super successful with straight 5 stars. Out of nowhere, it dropped to 92%. I know it depends on private feedback, but how is it possible that every client is giving fake feedback publicly and reviewing poorly in private? I think there is some miscalculation. Please fix this ASAP.

wrote:

I had a JSS of 99%, and all of my jobs went super successful with straight 5 stars. Out of nowhere, it dropped to 92%. I know it depends on private feedback, but how is it possible that every client is giving fake feedback publicly and reviewing poorly in private? I think there is some miscalculation. Please fix this ASAP.

It doesn't meant that you got poor private feedback from "every" client; all it takes is one client whose private feedback is less than enthusiastic, especially if that contract was high-priced compared with your other contracts. Feedback can also drop when contract(s) that had positive feedback become too old to count towards your JSS any more.

hereissalim
Community Member

Hi Upwork,
I'm so dissapointed because of my JSS,
I completed a small project in December 14 and got 4star. The client wanted to hire me again. Review was good but he dropped 4 star mistakely.
After a week of getting 4 star, my JSS dropped to 90% from 100%. Now it's 86% where I didn't make anything wrong.
It's affecting my freelance career.
Everytime I lost my 100% JSS, was my client's mistakes. But now I'm so dissapointed.
I know about Upworks JSS calculator but I want to know that is there any way to resolve this issue?

I hope you'll help me out.

Best Regards
Md Salim Hossain 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members