Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Success

radu_ie
Radu C Member Since: Dec 3, 2014
1 of 16

Hi there,

I've already opened up a ticket with UpWork support but I got the generic answer, hoping that some of the fellow freelancers can give me a proper response.

I've been working on UpWork for the last few months, got to be a Top Rated freelancer and now my Job Success went to 89%, therefore losing the Top Rated Badge.

Things to point out:

1 - All my jobs ended in a 5 star rating with great feedback

2 - I never had to give a refund

3 - I never had any disputes with any of my clients

For me, it doesn't really makes any sense why I'm at 89% when all my jobs ended with a 5 star rating, period.

Would appreciate it if other freelancers could pinpoint exactly what the problem may be.

Many thanks,

Radu

computerhxr
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
2 of 16

Private feedback.

radu_ie
3 of 16

Hi Daniel and thanks for getting back to me. I do find it quite strange that once I know all my clients and I know I go the extra mile to make them happy - and they do seem happy with my work - they would leave negative private feedback. It's just hard to belive that they are happy with my work, they never complain about it, they leave positive public feedback and 5 star rating and do a negative private feedback ... 

And, quite strangely, since I posted this public, my JS went from 89% to 91%, getting the top rated badge back.

deadlydragon00
Ace Contributor
Elmar Rhex G Member Since: Jul 18, 2015
4 of 16

Radu,

I can only give a generic answer its because this Upwork algorithm is not meant for Public transparency , they need to hide the actual code so that nobody is aware of the system logic and how it really works. Although I provided some simple formula but it does not describe on what is really happening in the real computation. But perhaps you can find some useful leads in the help page.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 16

@Radu C wrote:

And, quite strangely, since I posted this public, my JS went from 89% to 91%, getting the top rated badge back.

Radu,

That sounds like coincidence. Several people have noted that their JS scores were updated on the 6th and again on the 9th. Speculation is that a JS run went wonky and had to be corrected,

Best,

Michael

deadlydragon00
Ace Contributor
Elmar Rhex G Member Since: Jul 18, 2015
6 of 16

You can review this Image

factors.png

Formula : 

(successful contract outcomes - negative contract outcomes) / total outcomes

For more help refer to the official guide.

radu_ie
7 of 16

Elmar, like I mentioned in my original post, I don't need the generic answer as I do know how to read myself.

If I was to use that formula, I would have (21 positive contracts - 0 negative contracts) / 21 contracts in total = (21-0) / 21 = 1 - where 1 would have to be the highest rating.

mark8979
Community Leader
Mark C Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
8 of 16

I think the truth is that although some people guess at an answer, nobody who answers really knows, and those who do know won't (or are too embarrassed to)  answer.

- coz it's a big secret

radu_ie
9 of 16

Mark I'm not asking UpWork to share their "secret" / "perfect" formula with me, I just want to understand exactly WHAT i did wrong (if any) and where to improve my score. 

I really don't see the point of this private feedback as long as I don't have a say in it, or atleast, improve what needs to be improved. I'm not perfect, nobody is, but if 3 clients tell me that I lack at communication, ok - I know I need to work on it. But if it's all private, how can we learn and be better ? 

t-hall
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
10 of 16

It is most likely due to back-end feedback. Clients are asked on a scal of 1-10 if they would hire you again. An 8 may be in the opion of a client a very good possibilty and love teh work you've done. That's far below high rated requirements though.

At the end fo the day, it has nothing to do with you actual quality of work... and more so do with the emotional state of the client at the time the contract is closed. You may recieve a lower score just because they had a bad day, unrealted to you.

The systems may seem logical and useful, but they also have many flaws that don't take everything into consideration. There's nothing you can do except shake your head. I'm about to take a major hit too for reasons that have nothing to do with my performance. yay! lol... it's bound to happen

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS