cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job success score is UNFAIR and should be changed.

Danny K Member Since: Oct 7, 2018
1 of 73

The job Success score is not an accurate reflection of the freelancers job success, there are projects which were completed successfuly but I haven't got reviews on but still count against my score, the score makes it seem like I am a bad freelancer that isn't completing the projects properly while I completed every project successfully with complete client satisfaction and the score has nothing to do with my performance on the jobs I've worked on.
Is it my fault some clients don't leave feedback? is it my fault that a client doesn't pay? is it my fault that a project lasts for several months beyond the original intended time?
I pay a monthly subscription and I do not feel I am getting my worth as the system is working against me and not for me.
The way the score should work is IF and only IF there are specific complaints against a freelancer and after a management review it's justified then the score can drop, but not because of reasons outside of the freelancers control as I mentioned above.
I completed all my projects with success but my score is 84% when it should be 100%.
Please advise.

Ace Contributor
Muhammad R Member Since: Nov 17, 2018
2 of 73

I agree with you. I also completed projects but my client was unresponsive i tried to contact him to close the contract but i think he left the upwork and i did not get a review. 

It is very hard for new freelancers like me because one bad project can affect too much.

Not fair !!!!

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
3 of 73

If you look just down the screen you will see a thread labeled JSS that literally is 125 pages long at the time of this writing. A separate thread here isn't needed. You can spend the day plus with that thread getting every detail about JSS and then you can add your voice to page 125 or 126 if you want. 

4 of 73

Scott B I want to be heard, and as it seems many others too for quite some time since there are 125 pages, which to me is concerning. something should have been done by now.

Community Guru
Brian F Member Since: Jun 4, 2013
5 of 73

You should be heard.  And keep vocalizing until something is done.  I've been very active in that thread and Upwork made it clear they have NO plans for any major changes to JSS.  So looks like they need more feedback to realize how much change is necessary.

Ace Contributor
Melissa R Member Since: Nov 11, 2018
6 of 73

Brian, thought I would share a response that I received tonight from a Freelancer Customer Support. Based on his response, I don’t have faith that he’s here for helping us freelancers at all, just quoting the law of the UW land and providing me with a scripted email about JSS.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

7 of 73
The system as it is now is working completely against the freelancers who
are the bread and butter of this website, the way it calculates the score
needs to be redone completely, the only way a score will drop is because of
multiple complaints have been made against a freelancer and ONLY after an
account review of those complaints by the admins the score should drop and
also not by very much, a freelancer should also have the right to require
for a second review and explain why bad score was given, there are some
very hard and unforgiving clients out there who believe the world is theirs
because they pay you a few dollars, those cases need to be considered and
freelancers need to be heard, having said that, there are also bad
freelancers who abuse the system, so considerations need to be made, for
such a large website a bot is no longer sufficient, you need an actual team
to work on these issues upwork.
If the job success score stays the way it is I will cancel my subscription
altogether and stop using upwork and recommend others to do the same for
these reason as it is working against the freelancers who pay to use this
platform, not to mention the project fees are already too high, but combine
that with an unfair rating system and you will have yourself a lot of
freelancers who will quit using upwork altogether.
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 73

@Danny K wrote:

The job Success score is not an accurate reflection of the freelancers job success, there are projects which were completed successfuly but I haven't got reviews on but still count against my score, the score makes it seem like I am a bad freelancer that isn't completing the projects properly while I completed every project successfully with complete client satisfaction and the score has nothing to do with my performance on the jobs I've worked on.
Is it my fault some clients don't leave feedback? is it my fault that a client doesn't pay? is it my fault that a project lasts for several months beyond the original intended time?

Do you have any contracts which fall into one of the following categories:

• A contract closed without anything ever having been paid
  • A contract that has been open for months (multiple) without anything having been paid (yet)
  • A fully refunded contract?

The length a contract takes does not hurt your JSS (as long as something is paid)

No feedback contracts do not hurt your JSS provided  some money was at some point paid.

A contract lasting longer than intended does not hurt your JSS provided  some money was at some point paid.

Is it your fault if a client does not pay? Sort of, because if you use the system correctly you get paid automatically.

9 of 73

Petra R, these are the exact reasons why the rating system is completely broken and makes zero sense, I've worked on a project that was funded but lasted for months without payment, it's just how it happened because it took the company a very long time to decide upon designs and there was NOTHING I could do about it, so money wasn't paid, project lasted over 3 months and my score got affected because of it, this is an indication of a broken system, this is working against myself who is trying to establish himself on this platform.

The clients don't know about the rules and reasons behind the JSS, they only see less than 100% and immidately assume the freelancer  is untrustowrthy, this is a serious issue and should be dealt with all seriousness.
Or at least have the option of being able to hide this score, at least for those who pay a premium.
Leave the project reveiws I don't mind that, but the JSS is a stumbling block instead of being an accurate reflection of a freelancer's worth.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 73

@Danny K wrote:

Petra R, these are the exact reasons why the rating system is completely broken and makes zero sense, I've worked on a project that was funded but lasted for months without payment, it's just how it happened because it took the company a very long time to decide upon designs and there was NOTHING I could do about it, so money wasn't paid, project lasted over 3 months and my score got affected because of it, this is an indication of a broken system, this is working against myself who is trying to establish himself on this platform.

So the second you get a single Dollar under the contract the effect will be reversed, problem solved (its negative impact will reverse) - Or was the contract ended without anything ever being paid?

Split contracts into smaller milestones so it doesn't go for months without anything being paid.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS