cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job success score is UNFAIR and should be changed.

Danny K Member Since: Oct 7, 2018
21 of 73

Here's the deal, the way JSS is currently calculating score is simply encouraging more freelancers to work outside of upwork hence reducing revenue for the site, why would a freelancer risk getting their score messed up if they can take the work some where else?
There are plenty of non destructive ways to provide feedback for freelancers, it should be constructive, I understand the purpose behind the JSS, but it simply isn't working in it's current state.
If there's a feedback that needs to be said it should be said in the open not in the secret, and lowering the freelancers supposedly quality of performance in secret. I honestly hate this JSS, I always strive to provide 110% for all of my clients, some times things don't always work out, but it's not a reason to kill a freelancers profile which JSS does, I've read from others that they can't get work, not nearly as much as before.
I have ZERO negative feedback on my account and all jobs completed successfully, but I am still at 84%.
Something isn't working here.
Just to mention that I have 100% client recommendation on my profile.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
22 of 73

@Danny K wrote:

Here's the deal, the way JSS is currently calculating score is simply encouraging more freelancers to work outside of upwork hence reducing revenue for the site, 

Is Upwork losing quality freelancers? And, are they losing so many freelancers that clients can't find someone to fit their need? Doubt it. What will increase revenue is more paying clients paying more per gig. Upwork could probably lose half it's freelancers and still have plenty to serve its client base. 

Community Guru
Brian F Member Since: Jun 4, 2013
23 of 73

"Upwork could probably lose half it's freelancers and still have plenty to serve its client base. " What a dubious assertion.  The point I've been making is that a lot of the disgruntled freelancers I have been discussing this with are experienced freelancers with a long history of very positive results on Upwork who are upset about getting screwed over technicalities beyond their control that don't involve negative feedback  or having just one or two lower reviews cause a major drop in their JSS.  Anyone who sees a big drop in their JSS but did not get negative feedback over a series of recent contracts can and should be outraged.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
24 of 73

I just YOLO'd and closed 3 contracts in a row. Come at me, JSS. Come at me bro.

The point I've been making is that a lot of the disgruntled freelancers I have been discussing this with are experienced freelancers

is this like the 64% of freelancers that are making lower than $75k type of freelancers? those freelancers get around I tell you what.

Community Guru
25 of 73

My clients who would recommend me is HIGHER than my JSS!

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
26 of 73

@brian F wrote:

Whereas the opposite is true for me. Therefore, as I've said before, JSS is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. It is what it is. But seriously, for Danny's sake, I hope someone with greater insight into JSS will rationalize his JSS in light of his 100% client recommedation metric.

27 of 73

@John K wrote:

@brian F wrote:

Whereas the opposite is true for me. Therefore, as I've said before, JSS is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. It is what it is. But seriously, for Danny's sake, I hope someone with greater insight into JSS will rationalize his JSS in light of his 100% client recommedation metric.

I *think* clients who would recommend is lifetime whereas JSS caps at 24-months. So if your most recent performance is worse than your overall performance, you'll still feel the JSS hit. Could be wrong though. Maybe canceled contracts/no feedback contracts aren't factored into the would recommend percentage? 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
28 of 73

@Tonya P wrote:

I *think* clients who would recommend is lifetime whereas JSS caps at 24-months. So if your most recent performance is worse than your overall performance, you'll still feel the JSS hit. Could be wrong though. Maybe canceled contracts/no feedback contracts aren't factored into the would recommend percentage? 

Correct, the only thing that factors into the "would recommend percentage" is actual private feedback left, over the lifetime of a profile.

If someone has 100% "would recommend percentage" and a tanked JSS it almost certainly means a contract that has been open for months without anything ever having been paid, or a contract that was cancelled, closed without anything ever having been paid (which he says was not the case) or fully refunded.

Community Guru
29 of 73

Petra, that honestly doesn't strike you as a poor system that this is even a possibility??

Community Guru
30 of 73

There must be something wrong with me for thinking a transparent rating system would be better...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS