Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legitimate or not

Joshua N Member Since: May 21, 2018
1 of 13

Hello a person ask me to send in my email and they have said this:

*edited for Community Guidelines**

I would like to know whether this is a legitimate job offer or not and when I ask them why they need my W-9 they said they need to verify and also add me to the payroll is this legitimate or not?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 13

Sounds totally fake to me. Sounds like an identity thief.

I have done about 150 jobs on Upwork. Nobody ever asked me for anything like that.

3 of 13

I have email the information after realizing but said that was my old information you think that will make me safe for now but I keep asking the countless question but they said they need it for payroll as full time and will pay me via upwork for the first two week. You think I am on the safe side?

4 of 13

The problem is I try to test them and the way they articulate it is as if they are real and it is hard to determine that.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 13

I don't even think clients are allowed to ask for those kinds of things. It is completely unnecessary because Upwork has all of that on file.

Tell them:

"I checked and verified that Upwork has all of the necessary documents and identity verification on file. I give you permission to get anything you need from them. So you don't need to worry. You can use the Hire button and I will accept the hourly contract and get started on the project."

Although... I notice that you said "I have email the information..."

If by this you mean that you already sent them everything they asked for... Then it is kind of too late to follow my advice, which is to give them nothing.

6 of 13

I just told them that my revise W-9 is in the Upwork account I try to claim that my W-9 is not legitimate yet it has somewhat of my personal information only my SSN and that is it. You think I will be on the safe side?

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 13

Upwork, please make new profiles watch a video .... or something.

8 of 13

I do not think that correspond to my question while I am asking a serious case. It would be ideal to give me a nice response.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 13

@Joshua N wrote:

I do not think that correspond to my question while I am asking a serious case. It would be ideal to give me a nice response.

That was not aimed at you, it was aimed at Upwork.

To answer your question, no ... you are most certainly not safe. SSNs do not change - you should be doing anything and everything you can think of to mitigate the possible damage that can happen once someone has your name, address, and SSN.

10 of 13

I try to transfer my money to one of my family so nothing will be transaction and I do not have any credit history whatsoever. I try to respond back and I try to apologize that I ask many questions and they said they completely understand so it is at time hard to determine whether the company is legitimate or not.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS