Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level of expertise?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
21 of 28

Santiago,

Thank you, I find your answer really helpful. Smiley Very Happy Maybe I should pay more attention to the samples.

But to be honest I tend not to apply to those jobs where they ask me to write a sample. The reason is that very often I see them as a scam where somebody is trying to get some free work. If they want to see my style of writing they can look at my portfolio. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
22 of 28

@ Aleksandra

You're welcome.

The chance to get caught in a scam is definately there, make no mistake about it. The attempt to get around it is to ask and see exactly what they wanted written/made and send a sample that has nothing to do with that topic. It's a matter of "here's my style and capability". One of jobs I had, I sent a sample sure enough. It was a contest entry for a game I used to play. The whole thing was literally a big joke and a very long one at that ( side note... i did win a prize on that one!!). Another client wanted tech related articles and requested a sample. Ok, I sent a game guide I wrote for a private server!! I even told the client "pardon the crude appearance of that sample. It was meant for a forum post for a private server".

Another option is just as the word "sample" implies. Something even as short as a single paragraph would do. Making something short like that is not really a big time consumer so if it turns scam or less on you, it's not a big loss.

And yes, sticking with your portfolio also works!! Smiley Very Happy 

Oddly enough, I never uploaded anything to my portfolio. I can't seem to decide on what to put there!! hahahahaha

^No, that's not a request!! Thanks anyways!!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
23 of 28

I appreciate Santiago's enthusiasm for the work he does and his willingness to provide clients with a quality experience.

I think we should continue to maintain a distinction between the following:

a) a client asking for free work (forbidden by Upwork policies)

b) a client asking for free samples (forbidden by Upwork policies)

c) a contractor voluntarily doing free work (something that should not be done, but there is room for interpretation about what constitutes "free work"; is granting an interview considered "free work"?; is responding to a question via email without billing for the time considered "free work"? There can be differences of opinion and Upwork does not need to micromanage this)

d) a contractor offering free samples (this is NOT expressly prohibited by Upwork, but should be either be handled carefully and done minimally, or not done at all; once again, the precise way to respond to this may differ from contractor to contractor, but we ALL benefit if "clients" can't come to the platform and get their projects done simply by getting free work from desperate contractors.)

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Arens M Member Since: Mar 15, 2015
24 of 28

@Preston H wrote:

I appreciate Santiago's enthusiasm for the work he does and his willingness to provide clients with a quality experience.

I think we should continue to maintain a distinction between the following:

a) a client asking for free work (forbidden by Upwork policies)

b) a client asking for free samples (forbidden by Upwork policies)

c) a contractor voluntarily doing free work (something that should not be done, but there is room for interpretation about what constitutes "free work"; is granting an interview considered "free work"?; is responding to a question via email without billing for the time considered "free work"? There can be differences of opinion and Upwork does not need to micromanage this)

d) a contractor offering free samples (this is NOT expressly prohibited by Upwork, but should be either be handled carefully and done minimally, or not done at all; once again, the precise way to respond to this may differ from contractor to contractor, but we ALL benefit if "clients" can't come to the platform and get their projects done simply by getting free work from desperate contractors.)

I started my odesk career offering a free job to my first 2 clients Smiley Happy
It is the best way for first experiences. In the end they did tip me something and 5 star feedback because I did them a good professional work.
After the first 2 jobs in 2 months and a half I did 21 jobs Smiley Happy.

Highlighted
Maribeth M Member Since: Jun 5, 2015
25 of 28

Good advice Smiley Happy  I'm still unsuccessful in getting an interiview despite my skills..  Honestly I'm not sure how to showcase what I can do so I'm doing serious research now how I to get my first client... So looking forward to work.

Hmmm can you check my profile please... and give me some needed advice?  Any help will be really appreciated Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
26 of 28

"I started my odesk career offering a free job to my first 2 clients
It is the best way for first experiences."

No. It isn't. Never do free work. It harms everyone.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
27 of 28

@ Maribeth

I'm sure someone would be nice enough to provide advice concerning your profile. It would work out better if someone could SEE your profile which is currently set to private!! Smiley LOL

About the quickest way to get some help to you concerning your profile is for you to simply check out other posts here in the forums and other profiles from people that posted. Preferrably people with similar skills as you placed in your profile. There's a LOT of detail just sitting there waiting to be looked at / used to help you. If anything, that would certainly cut your "waiting for a reply" time to zero!!

Highlighted
Maribeth M Member Since: Jun 5, 2015
28 of 28

Hi Santiago,

LOL that's funny.  I got my first two clients already.  Thanks for the advice although I've seen this just now but good one!  I've checked other profiles and it really works. Thank you.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS