cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing features (?)

Jerome L Member Since: Jun 6, 2015
1 of 3

Hello,

Please excuse me by advance, I am pretty new on Upwork and I may miss these following feature if they are already available. Elance has/had some useful features that I don't see on Upwork, like:

a) 'I will submit my bid later'

Without exaggeration, some job descriptions consist just in one or two sentences : 'I would like a website, my budget is $300 [sometimes less, of course]. Contact me for the details'.

Then you learn the details: 'I would like a Facebook clone'.

Obviously, you can just ignore such jobs, but even with more detailed descriptions, you have very often to ask for details, to estimate the work to do (and its appropriate price). In other words, it's not reasonable to offer a fixed price from the very first message, in my mind. That's why to be able to submit a bid later is very important.

b) Sort job by proposal counts

Personnally, except if a job is exceptionally interesting, I prefer not to make an offer if 20 or more freelancers have already made an offer. Additionnally, some jobs having zero proposal may require rare qualifications that you may have,  that's why that criterion is useful too.

c) Client last login date/hour

Unfortunately, sometimes freelancers meet a lack of politeness from clients who just suddenly ignore them even after several messages exchanged in the chat room. For a freelancer on Elance, when you don't have an answer for 7 days and you read that the last client login was today, you understand easily that you can resign, rather to lose time.

d) The client history, among other pertinent points in this message :

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/7-Important-Features-Urgently-Needed/m-p/103259#M50883

Regards,

Jerome

Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
2 of 3

@Jerome L wrote:

Hello,

Please excuse me by advance, I am pretty new on Upwork and I may miss these following feature if they are already available. Elance has/had some useful features that I don't see on Upwork, like:

a) 'I will submit my bid later'

Without exaggeration, some job descriptions consist just in one or two sentences : 'I would like a website, my budget is $300 [sometimes less, of course]. Contact me for the details'.

Then you learn the details: 'I would like a Facebook clone'.

Obviously, you can just ignore such jobs, but even with more detailed descriptions, you have very often to ask for details, to estimate the work to do (and its appropriate price). In other words, it's not reasonable to offer a fixed price from the very first message, in my mind. That's why to be able to submit a bid later is very important.

What I normally do in cases like these is, during the interview process, if I find out that the scope of the job will be more than what my original bid was for, I'll discuss that with the client and let him/her know that I feel that, due to the additional information provided, I am adjusting my rate. Your initial bid rate isn't "set in stone", per se. You can change it throughout the interview process, but it's always best to discuss this change with the client first, instead of surprising them with a higher rate.

Jerome L Member Since: Jun 6, 2015
3 of 3

Thank you for your precision, Dawn.

I hope that Upwork managers will take into account the other points! :-)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS