🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Misunderstanding with client
Page options
aveliza
Community Member

Misunderstanding with client

Hi,

I got a contract with a client after i applied to the job in which she wanted print design for sportswear. The client is also new on Upwork.
It was not clarified exctly what the client was expecting, but for me, as I applied as a graphic print designer, it was obvious that it is the artwork that is needed, because when we started messaging she asked me to make prints for a concrete theme.  I sent proposals and the client asked for some modifications on them and then she approved it, so I sent the final high resolution files. Then the client didn't want to pay me, but was asking for further tasks to be done (making simulation for the print how it will look on the garment, then asking for preparing a technical file - for what she didn't give me any necessary information, bacause to put a print on a garment you need to know the measuremenets of the garment etc). I told her, i can do it but we have to make a new supplementary contract and that I can do these extras for extra payment, and she said OK let's try. I created the new contract but then she suddenly didnt understand why I did it...
I just have the feeling that she doesn't have an idea how the whole process works. Now (after I sent her the final high resolution files!) she said that actually she still has to discuss with her colleagues and that she lets me know if they choose my print, but in the meantime I should send her all the files she was asking for as extra...
I told her that if she pays me for the job that was already done, I am happy to proceed to complete further requests.
Can you please help me what would be the right thing to do in such a situation?

3 REPLIES 3
nzakatony
Community Member

Hi Eliza,

You did well to tell the client that you can only do more work upon receiving payment for the work already done. It also seems to me like you've actually done a lot of "free work" already. From the job post, you can see when the client joined the network but even if she joined recently, still understanding one another is important. In fact, bad communication and misunderstandings are what make some clients give horrible feedback at the end of a job which can impact your overall rating as a freelancer. From your message, it seems like the client is the one who doesn't understand how things are supposed to work in Upwork. That said, you should never rule out the possibility of a client looking for someone to work for free. Make sure you read and understand Upwork's Terms of Service. Don't do any work without a contract being active and being funded. Make sure you understand the client's requirements and you can even state them again to the client to make sure you're both on the same page. If there's a pending payment i.e. payment not received, just go to the contract and submit work for payment then write a message detailing the work done. Upwork will probably pick up the dispute...not sure how it will go but you may need to learn something from this experience... Check around the community for discussions about scam/scammers and how to avoid them. All the best.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Eliza A wrote:

It was not clarified exctly what the client was expecting, but for me, as I applied as a graphic print designer, it was obvious that it is the artwork that is needed, because when we started messaging she asked me to make prints for a concrete theme. 

You need to clarify what the client is expecting before you accept an offer, and not just make assumptions. What's obvious to you might not be obvious to a client. Even at the proposal stage, you can set up clearly defined milestones with explicit details about which file formats you'll deliver, specify how many revisions are included in your price, and say how much you'll charge for any additional work.

There is also no need to set up a new contract; you can just add new milestones to your existing contract. If you set up two contracts with an unhappy client, you could end up getting two bad feedback reviews instead of one.

Christine A wrote:

Eliza A wrote:

It was not clarified exctly what the client was expecting, but for me, as I applied as a graphic print designer, it was obvious that it is the artwork that is needed, because when we started messaging she asked me to make prints for a concrete theme. 

You need to clarify what the client is expecting before you accept an offer, and not just make assumptions. What's obvious to you might not be obvious to a client. Even at the proposal stage, you can set up clearly defined milestones with explicit details about which file formats you'll deliver, specify how many revisions are included in your price, and say how much you'll charge for any additional work.

There is also no need to set up a new contract; you can just add new milestones to your existing contract. If you set up two contracts with an unhappy client, you could end up getting two bad feedback reviews instead of one.

Yes, as a client and a freelancer, I can tell you that often clients don't know exactly what they need. They just know they need help. So be very clear about what you can do - list your deliverables specifically and say anything additional needs to be priced additionally to this scope.  I think most clients don't intend to ask for free work, they just don't know the time involved to do anything.  Usually a polite education on what the cost is and sticking firm to your payment boundaries is enough to resolve the situation.  Stay calm, try not to take offense, and deal with it as a misunderstanding and not an attempt to scam you (unless it's clearly an attempt to scam you and then screw 'em). 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members