» Forums » Freelancers » Moving to the USA as permanent resident and t...
Page options
Community Member

Moving to the USA as permanent resident and taxes

Hi all, I am moving to the USA as a permanent resident and I plan to work through the Upwork there


Now, let say I earned $20k while in Ukraine, then moved to the US and earned another $20k. Here is the question ... when Upwork reports to the IRS, what will be reported? $40k or $20k? If it is $40k, how do I prove to the IRS that $20k of that amount were earned in Ukraine and taxes are paid there?


I am asking, because taxes in Ukraine ~6% for self employed, and in the US those are much higher ... so to put it in very simpel terms - how to avoid to be double taxed? Does anyone had a similar experience?


PS: From the template of the 1099-NEC https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099nec.pdf, which Upwork should send to freelancers, it looks like it will just say a single number, e.g. $40k, and then I will have a very long conversation with IRS ...


Hi Oleksandr,


I can see that our team already assisted you with your concern. If you need further assistance, please feel free to update the ticket, and our team will be happy to assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Community Member

Upwork does not tax people. Governments tax people. Upwork doesn't decide how much tax you owe. Upwork doesn't provide tax advice.


If you ask Upwork personnel these questions, they will advise you to get advice from your local tax experts and authorities.


Also, you can hire tax experts on Upwork.


Also, you can look stuff up.


And, yes, you are allowed to post questions like this in the Forum. And you may receive advice from Forum participants. And that advice may be 100% accurate. Or not.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members