Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first scam job posting

Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
1 of 18

This is the first job posting that I've seen that is a scam (other than the "please write my school paper" scams)

The job asks for someone to edit a 10,000 word document but when you apply you get a message about how they've already hired everyone they need and there's only one position left.

Then the job turns into a posting items on auction websites.

I flagged it and withdrew my application but I wonder how support will actually determine that it's a scam since the actual post looks legitimate. It's only after you apply that you get hit with the message about posting items for auction. If support only looks at the job posting and doesn't see the email they sent me, then it will look legitimate.

Do they look at emails or do I need to contact support directly to let them know the details?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 18

David,

This is a voluntery reporting task which you want to do in order to save oDesk and many, many contractors time, effort and potential damaging actions regarding their finances and identity information.

You justifiably have questions about how to report this in a way that we can be confident oDesk will follow up and do something about.

The fact that you have questions about how to do this is a sure sign that the current oDesk interface inadequately allows you to report this fully and effectively.

You should not be required to interact with customer service via email, as that is a haphazard prospect at best.

There should be a way to flag a job posting and be able to copy and paste text and screenshots documenting your interactions, AND this method shoul cause you to receive follow-up verification that action has been taken to remove the scam job posting.

Extremely explicity, clear verification that your actions have borne fruit will yield great benefits in terms of people being willing to report problems like this.

The benefits to providing these features far outweight the costs.

The "costs" are that adding this functionality will require a bit of modification to the interface and oDesk system.

The benefits are that contractors will be providing even more valuable reporting work for free. Contractors already report problematic job postings. But the system for doing so can be enhanced. Especially by notifying contractors when action has been taken (or, if no action has been taken, why not.)

Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
3 of 18

David, the last five jobs I applied for were the same scam as yours. Advertised for a graphic design job and it turned out to be posting on an audition site. I flagged them all but it is getting a bit irritating. One thing I noticed is that these scammers all created accounts in December.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 18

If we want to REALLY get wild and crazy...

When a contractor reports a genuinely inappropriate job listing or a verifiably scammy job listing...

...and that job listing is removed...

For the first contractor who reported that job listing... their "take down" help is recorded and displayed on their My Stats page.

And it helps, just a tiny bit, to increase their Job Success Score.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 18

Hi David,

Thank you for reporting this. I have checked and actions have already been taken against the account of the client you are referring to.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Katherine C Member Since: Apr 22, 2015
6 of 18

I agree there should be more comprehensive flagging methods where we can show the 1st I used up some of my connects to apply for the job and then they offered me a scammy job.

If the first listing appears to be legit, I think we should also get those lost connects back.

Thanks,

Katherine.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 18

Hi Katherine,

If the job posting violates oDesk Policies, once It is removed by the oDesk Team, the connects freelancers used to apply for it will be returned.

Additionally, we are exploring ways to verify clients' accounts and improve the quality of jobs on oDesk. In the next few months we'll be introducing some initiatives in this area.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
8 of 18

Well, I see our "friend" Kevin is still up to his old tricks. Posting jobs that look legitimate and then claiming that jobs is full but he has another job for you to post items on an auction site.

Isn't there any way to get rid of this guy?

I should have known it was him because the budget was way to high for the job he posted but I haven't seen much that I wanted to apply for lately so I figured I would give it a try. Like I said, I should of known it was a scam.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
9 of 18

I wish oDesk was screening jobs. I know a lot of jobs are posted, but it sure would save a lot of everyone's time including posting in the fourm if oDesk was monitoring jobs posted.

How hard would it be for them the have to have a job approved manually and go through a list read through it, check that it is approved or not. Kind of like blog posts that are approved or not approved.

I know some are hard to tell if they are scams. And again if accounts were verified somehow with job posters there wouldn't be as many scams.

Why not verify them like you verify freelancers? They wouldn't have to enter their payment info then, but maybe there would be less garbage floating around out there.

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
10 of 18

Hi Suzanne,

We do monitor all job posts, both through automatic and manual means. We're tightening this up to better catch the bad stuff, so I hope you'll see this improve in the near future. 

Thanks for helping us through your reporting of these job posts. This helps our teams follow up on anything that was missed and to make our systems smarter.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS