🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My profile does not appear in Search results
Page options
c64f93a5
Community Member

My profile does not appear in Search results

I've been reading through the various community posts in relation to this subject and I have done the following:

1) Checked that my profile setting is to "Public"
2) Reset my profile visibility
  a)  Ticket #45317374
3) Narrowed down my search results to be very specific to my profile
4) Asked a friend who has a Client account to search for my profile

Can someone please help me?
My link to upwork profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~010253346c5f674b8f

Thank you in advance!  

9 REPLIES 9
celgins
Community Member

Your profile shows fine in search results; on the freelancer and clients side:

celgins_1-1707146902742.png

c64f93a5
Community Member

Thank you for your quick response, Clark!  Can you please provide me with the filters you used in the Search results as I just looked again and asked my friend to look as well and we both are still not finding the profile.

Did you find it via the search results or did you just click on the profile link I had pasted?

Thank you in advance!

celgins
Community Member

Yes--through organic search results.

My first search was U.S.-based and used your profile name Viralytics; I did this to confirm your profile is visible in search results. Then, I searched using one of your main skill categories: Customer Retention. For the latter, your profile didn't appear until the 80th or 90th page or so (I forgot to look at the last page, but I recall being around the upper 80s).

Keep in mind that Upwork rotates profiles in search results, so your position may change from week to week. Plus, clients often search using Upwork's pre-defined search categories or they might type keywords into the search box, or a variety of both. With that, and the way Upwork ranks profiles, it can be difficult to estimate your position.

c64f93a5
Community Member

I went back and typed "viralytics" and it popped up.  It looks like we were both filtering on "Sales and Marketing" and for some reason, my account does not fall under that category.

In my profile, I have "Sales and Marketing" listed as a category my profile is associated with

c64f93a5_0-1707165384397.png

Is there someone that can help with rectifying this?

Thank you in advance!

celgins
Community Member

You can change those categories. Click the pencil icon in the top-right corner to modify add or remove categories.

c64f93a5
Community Member

Just to clarify, I want to be associated with the "Sales and Marketing" category.  I've chosen that option, but when I filter on Sales and Marketing in the Search results, my profile is excluded.

How do I fix it to where my profile appears when clients filter by "Sales and Marketing" to narrow their results?

Thank you again for your help!

celgins
Community Member

You should also add the "Sales and Marketing" skill category to your profile skills list. In fact, I would replace the skill category "Expert" with "Sales and Marketing" since "Expert" is quite generic.

celgins_1-1707254709768.png

Upwork uses profile skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

c64f93a5
Community Member

Thank you again for your help!

I added Sales and Marketing to my skills as you recommended but my profile is still getting filtered out if someone selects the category of "Sales and Marketing",

c64f93a5_0-1707321171304.png

I would think that since I have my categories already defined as "Sales and Marketing", my profile should be in the search results when someone filters on that category

My concern is that clients will filter on that category when they are narrowing results for candidates that fit their marketing roles.  If I'm not on the results, they'll miss my profile.

Thanks again for your guidance and please let me know if there is a different recommended route I should be taking.

celgins
Community Member

It can take some time before your profile appears in search results for a specific skill category; especially since you just added it to your skills list in your profile.

There may be one million profiles with "Sales and Marketing" as a skill category, so competition and volume are always factors when viewing search results. When the algorithm matches your profile with "Sales and Marketing" and shows you in search results, your profile could appear on page 5 or page 50.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members