🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » New form of scam. Client sent $500 bonus at t...
Page options
4b9fb519
Community Member

New form of scam. Client sent $500 bonus at the very start of the project to buy domain worth $350

The payment of bonus says pending. He insists that i buy the domain for him and upwork will pay me after 1 week. It seems very fishy. His account is created today and has within half an hour hired 4 people for the same job. He was weirdly in a hurry.

Might be doing this to others too.

https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~0140aebed907bcee6d

7 REPLIES 7
spectralua
Community Member

It is old scam. Yep, noone will pay, stolen card used. Scammer just want your $350.

Seems to have left a feedback. I did not start the work so it says 0:00 hrs tracked. Will it effect my profile or JSS in the future

Just report and wait a while scammer will be banned. It wont affect your JSS then.

fred-derf
Community Member

I took a peek at the linked job no-posal.

Key points on this:

a) Very, very, very, very short job description. I see these often, rarely do they interest me.

b) Eight different projects. Yes, along with the minute description how is one expected to objectively see what the jobs entail.

c) Member since April 30, 2024. I see these often too. Rarely do they interest me.

d) Two hours after posting with four hires! How can a client interview the six mentioned, answer questions, give full details to at least four and then hire? Fishy...fishy.

Asking for clarification on this: "Client sent $500 bonus at the very start of the project to buy domain worth $350"

Did the client send you the "bonus" or is this an "offer bonus" that you will "receive" after you buy the domain?

3cecc7f8
Community Member

Really? 

4b9fb519
Community Member

The scam job is removed and his account seems to have been closed. But the job shows as completed on my profile with private feedback. When will that be removed. Firstly the payment of bonus was pending, so it no payment was made obviously. Second, i did not click any button on hourly contract and it shows 0:00 hrs tracked. I hope the job listing on my profile will be removed like the original job listing.

fred-derf
Community Member

Client sent $500 bonus at the very start of the project to buy domain worth $350

A good counteroffer: Just give me the domain ($350), and just $150 of the bonus. Still totals $500!

Makes it simpler too!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members