cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No upfront payment field? It's too much power for the clients.

gareth_esutera
Greten Vicke E Member Since: Nov 27, 2008
1 of 13
What the Odesk? As time passed by, it's getting more and more difficult to get projects here. First, the clients have the option to include number of ODesk hours in fixed-rate jobs. Second, they can include additional questions, which are mostly nonsense HR-ish questions. Now, I am seeing FIXED-RATE projects in which the upfront payment field has been removed? https://www.odesk.com/jobs/Design-and-develop-website-for-automotive-accessory-wholesale-company-wit... So from the client's backend, there's this checkbox that they can now use to remove the Upfront payment field? Yet, at the same time, fixed-rate job is still not guaranteed and this warning still appears: " You are applying for a Fixed Price project. While the majority of oDesk projects end successfully, please keep a few things in mind: - Payment is not guaranteed on Fixed Price Jobs. - oDesk does not offer mediation or arbitration services. - If you do the work and the client refuses to pay, oDesk will not be able to help. "
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
2 of 13
I think these jobs may be part of the new milestone system, where the client submits the payment to oDesk before the jobs starts, and you receive payment from oDesk after you complete the milestone and the client approves your work. If this is true, it would be useful if oDesk actually mentioned this in the job description, as many qualified freelancers will not take a normal fixed price job without an upfront payment and the client may lose the chance to hire the best freelancer.
rpmacrohon
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
3 of 13
yup as I understand its now milestone system. But it supposed to show when you bid(?). Haven't seen it though am doing manual hourly. ETA: Just tried applying for a fix priced project, I still have the upfront option and don't see the milestone?? this new few feature still Beta and selected Freelancers only??
gareth_esutera
4 of 13
Hi Marcia and Reynaldo Thank you There's no milestone indicator anyway. Did you apply to that link I provided and you saw an upfront payment field?
marciamalory
Community Guru
5 of 13
I just looked at the link and no, I didn't see anything for upfront payment anywhere.
gareth_esutera
6 of 13
Oh ok, so it really has no upfront payment. Reynaldo said there is, or did I misinterpret him?
marciamalory
Community Guru
7 of 13
The milestone thing seems to be a random test. I have had one job like that (it was by invitation, so I can't say what the application would have looked like) and my fixed price jobs after that have been normal, with upfront payments. I guess it depends on the individual job.
david_gregory
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
8 of 13
It doesn't seem to apply to all jobs yet. I've seen both. I haven't dealt with with milestone system yet but I don't think I like it much. It just increases the time it takes for me to get my money. Before, the client would pay me and within six days, I would have access to the money. With the new system, I think the freelancer has to request payment, oDesk holds on to it for a couple of weeks and then releases it. Again, this is just what I've picked up from reading these forums so it could be wrong but I'm pretty sure oDesk keeps your money longer.
marciamalory
Community Guru
9 of 13
Yes, you have to request payment. I think you only have to wait weeks if the client never responds to your request for payment (for the client to approve the milestone). Then after two weeks, you get paid automatically. I didn't have a problem; my client agreed to payment right away. It was only a small, one milestone job.
david_gregory
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
10 of 13
Thanks, that's what I thought but wasn't sure. The new milestone payment still means you have to wait longer for your money though. With the upfront payment, your money is accessible within six days. Now, with the new milestone payment, you have to wait a minimum of two weeks (depending on how quickly the client agrees to release the milestone).
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS