cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Not a Single Invite in Nearly 3 Months

airmanx
Imran A Member Since: Jun 7, 2015
1 of 20

I'm a top-rated freelancer working with UpWork/oDesk for 4-5 years. I used to receive at least one invite every couple of days or so until about 3 months back, but haven't received a single invite in more than the last 2 months. This is disturbing, as I would have done much better had I worked through my own channels for this amount of time. Expecting a top freelancer with nearly 5 years with your company to apply for jobs every day and and get rejected speaks amply about the way UpWork treats its brightest bread runners.

I am paying UpWork at least $100 per month from my hard earned income. Can anyone tell me WHY I'm paying this much if UpWork is not driving me customers? If you're expecting me to apply for jobs every day even after spending 5 years on this platform, I think it's unfair and disrespectful.

rolludesig
Community Guru
Rahul V Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 20

it is the upwork alogrithrm and i had also mentioned about it...you wont get invites until your profile shows on top if a client search for respective catagory.

i have 100% jss with enormous projects around 800+ but still if i search for my profile in any designing category i am not shown anywhere while freelancers will 0 feedbacks are shown at top.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
3 of 20

@Imran A wrote:

I am paying UpWork at least $100 per month from my hard earned income. Can anyone tell me WHY I'm paying this much if UpWork is not driving me customers? 

I guess that if your business is slowing down on Upwork, you won't be paying much fees to the platform. And invites are a random thing, I've noticed. Sometimes you can live on invites, sometimes you need to get out and send proposals. Also different industries may experience different cycles throughout the year, maybe the invites will come back again a little bit later, I sincerely hope for you they will.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 20

@Imran A wrote:
1 - Can anyone tell me WHY I'm paying this much if UpWork is not driving me customers?
2 - If you're expecting me to apply for jobs every day even after spending 5 years on this platform, I think it's unfair and disrespectful.

1 - You don't have to pay Upwork anything, You are free to work elsewhere.

2 - Really? It's Upwork's fault that clients don't want to invite you? You are one of millions of freelancers. You think opportunities should be handed to you on a platter? Why?

As a top rated freelancer you will appear more highly in searches more often, but if clients don't want to hire you then that's hardly Upwork's fault, is it?

3 - try setting your profile to public, so clients can actually FIND you to invite you (if they find what they see attractive enough)

airmanx
5 of 20

Thanks for sharing your pearls of wisdom by overstating the obvious. I'm sorry I forgot to mention I've been getting one profile view per week for the last three months. It wouldn't have been UpWork's fault had my profile been shown to a reasonable number of people.

I'm pointing out a problem with the system whereby there's no incentive for experienced freelancers to stick around. If I have to apply to 10 or 20 jobs before landing one, it's better I write a blog  for my own website every week. In 5 years I'll easily outrank UpWork and get hundreds of eyeballs every day. Actually that's what I'm already doing.

cb979ad2
Antonio W Member Since: Mar 2, 2017
6 of 20

@Petra R wrote:

@Imran A wrote:
1 - Can anyone tell me WHY I'm paying this much if UpWork is not driving me customers?
2 - If you're expecting me to apply for jobs every day even after spending 5 years on this platform, I think it's unfair and disrespectful.

1 - You don't have to pay Upwork anything, You are free to work elsewhere.

2 - Really? It's Upwork's fault that clients don't want to invite you? You are one of millions of freelancers. You think opportunities should be handed to you on a platter? Why?

As a top rated freelancer you will appear more highly in searches more often, but if clients don't want to hire you then that's hardly Upwork's fault, is it?

3 - try setting your profile to public, so clients can actually FIND you to invite you (if they find what they see attractive enough)

It's really pathetic you would come up by default with such an aggressive response to a freelancer with a legitimate concern. You sound like you consider Imran to be a competitor, the sight of whom you can't stand. Well he isn't! Much of what you've translated for clients is copy written by copywriters like him. And even if he was, you can all live and eat!

Upwork is an ecosystem; if Petra R. was the only one here, no client would come to Upwork.

I would thus, always appreciate freelancers who can engage in respectful, constructive conversations with their fellow freelancers.

A tree cannot make a forest.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 20

Are you an elancer by chance? IT's not the same here man. I know on Elance you could dominate a section. I was always in the top 3 technical writers, so I know how nice it was but it's not the same here.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
8 of 20

I don't think Upwork is an invite driven system. I'm not sure I've ever accepted a job that was offered via invite. If I have, it has not been for a very long time. I think for your Upwork career to work you either need to be in one of the specialized groups, or plan to spend time each day looking for jobs and sending proposals. 

Also, grossing $500 to $1000 a month via the platform doesn't make you a top earner. Sorry, but if Upwork were favoring the high earners for invites, then I don't think that level of production would make the cut. Have you checked the search results to see how many other top-rated freelancers are vying for jobs within your skill set? Perhaps the market is just flooded with people equally entitled to receive invites.

I heartily agree that you should invest your time in a way that offers the best ROI, by the way. The economy has changed, one must be agile to survive.  

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 20

It's kinda LOL when some of these people talk about their "high" earnings and how Upwork should just be so thankful for their income. I was making more than $1000/month doing this on the side part time ha

airmanx
10 of 20

I can make much more than $1000 and pay even more to UpWork, but it won't let me Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS