cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE BE AWARE

Candice W Member Since: Sep 18, 2014
1 of 6
Please be aware of "Fake Employer" scams. There is a scam to where they will take you through the entire process of interview and getting hired without problem. Then they would state that they will need to send you money to purchase the equipment that you will need to start work and they will send you a check to do so. They will send you a "cashiers check" for a ridiculous amount of money. Then they will ask you to deposit the check into your bank account (they will continuously refer to the location of your bank and they will also try to stress the importance of depositing it by ATM). Then they will state that your next instructions are very important and must be followed to the letter. They state that you are to go to your bank right away and withdraw the money in cash and deposit it into an account number they have for you at another bank. I told them why deposit the check to take it out and deposit it again into another account and they had a long good excuse for that too (Luckily I know how long it takes for any check to clear your bank account and that if you were to take that money before it cleared you would then be owing the bank). Do not be fooled. I contacted the bank the "cashiers check" was issued from to find out that the check did not exist in their system. The job headline was looking for virtual assistants and they were fully ready like they did this a few times before. They used information from big companies you would never think to look at for jobs. I had to file a police report because these people now had my information (address, ph, DL #) so be aware and protect yourselves out there while searching for jobs. There are people who would like to take your last leg from up under you.
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
2 of 6
Hi Candice, I am sorry that you experienced this issue. Actualy, this scam primarily targets US freelancers and has been going on here even before I joined oDesk. As a precaution, never ever transact any payment or money outside of oDesk since that is against site rules. If you report this client, there is a chance that oDesk will suspend your account for accepting money (although its a scam) outside the site. Not sure if they ever ban or suspend clients involved in this so just protect yourself and its a good thing you know how things work and was not fooled. Some freelancers here have lost thousands of dollars and yet this thing still goes on.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
3 of 6
Job posts need to be screened before they're allowed to be posted on oDesk. Clients also need to be screened thoroughly. It's getting worse.
Community Guru
4 of 6
Everytime I complained about an issue like this to support they just claim that they screen each job posting thoroughly and informed me that its the reason why when clients post a job, it takes about half an hour for it to appear on the feeds. They should fire the whole screening team imho. Maybe if an algorithm screens the postings it will be better (just kidding).

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
5 of 6
[quote=Dianne M.]Everytime I complained about an issue like this to support they just claim that they screen each job posting thoroughly [/quote] They have got to be kidding. (Then why do they need freelancers to flag job posts?)
Community Guru
6 of 6
I mentioned that too and they said its for added security as well as to report clients who bypass the review. Personally I think the support people are not sure if the review team even exists, they just say it is another department and that they will forward my concern.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS