Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Membership - Is it worth it?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
1 of 27

I know there have been some posts about paid memberships but not much was said.

What I would like to know has anyone with a paid membership experience any benefits from it? Have you encountered more headaches?

I'm not too concerned about the connects (though it would be nice to have them rollover in case of a rainy day). Does the rollover work? Does the view competitor bids work?

I don't want to pay for a membership if there are issues with it.

Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
2 of 27

I was actually just wondering the same thing. The 10 additional connects, roll-over connects, and the ability to view competitor bids seem interesting, but I'm not sure that I'd say it's worth the $10/month fee... especially with some of the bugs that Upwork seems to be trying to work out lately. I think for now, I'll just keep this in the back of my mind, at least until I see more feedback from the freelancers with this membership.

Le K Member Since: Sep 7, 2017
3 of 27

I have to pay fee for Upwork about more than $100 a month for contract free, so additional $10 for paid membership is not problem with me. But I still don't pay it as I don't need to bid on new projects. Many clients come from searching my profile.
For my experience it would helpful if you are a new Freelancer on Upwork, you might have more chance to bid new projects and you might know whether your bid and rate are ok with this project.
But if you work on Upwork for years like me, you might think it's useless

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
4 of 27

I've been on Upwork since 2005. I only work long term jobs and don't apply to new jobs very often. The ONLY reason I would ever even CONSIDER upgrading to the paid Membership would be if I felt it 100% necessary to view competitor bid info.

And, since I've heard from paid Members who felt the competitor bid info was lacking, I'm not even sure that would make it worth it.

Note: I'm not speaking for everyone. But I am a good example of a long term freelancer who has chosen to focus on long term hourly jobs. Your usage of Upwork may be very different.

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
5 of 27
As Pandora said, its usefulness will be dependent on how you use the platform, and your strategies as a freelancers.

I opted in last month, only to see competitor bids, to try and understand if that contributed to winning or losing contracts in my case. I cancelled at the end of the month.

It wasn't really practical in my case since I usual bid on short term run-of-the-mill contracts in my category. I would only bid on the ones appropriately priced anyhow, based on the effort required to do the job.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 27

I like mine Smiley Happy

I keep it because it's really cheap and seeing the lowest, highest, and average bid is interesting despite the fact that I still bid what it would make it worth my while to do the job, which often is above the highest previous bid, or lower. I march to the sound of my own drum.

I think for many people it does more harm than good, encouraging them to enter a race to the bottom where they just try to under-bid the lowest bid...

Yes, rollover works just fine, but if you don't use all your connects you probably don't need what's being rolled over. I can't see using up all my connects without spamming so whether I have rollovers or not becomes irrelevant, as I won't use them either.

Gunnar E Member Since: Nov 8, 2018
7 of 27

Yes upwork is a race to the bottom, and their cutt starting at 40% pluss fees are redicioulus.

After 500 dollar the cut is 20% pluss fees is also redicioulus. I worked as freelance in "the real worl" thair cutt is 10% and they also have to do a lott of manual labour upwork is automatical. As son there is a better site I will go.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 27

@Gunnar E wrote:

Yes upwork is a race to the bottom, and their cutt starting at 40% pluss fees are redicioulus.

After 500 dollar the cut is 20% pluss fees is also redicioulus. I worked as freelance in "the real worl" thair cutt is 10% and they also have to do a lott of manual labour upwork is automatical. As son there is a better site I will go.

Nonsense. 

Up to $ 500 it is 20%

After $ 500 and up to $ 10.000 from any one client it is 10%

After $ 10.000 it is 5%

You are meant to build the fees into your rate, and clearly it was your choice to accept $ 6 per hour for your last contract.

(PS, your claim to have bilingual English is "daring" to say the least...)

@Gunnar E wrote:

The commision is 40% 20 for you and 20 for customer...

No, it is not

Kezia I Member Since: Mar 19, 2019
9 of 27

If you find or know of a better or another site please let me know. I think the fees are ridiculous considering people only come on here looking for cheap labour and expect quality work.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 27

I did it mainly for rollover thinking that as a noob Upwork person I'd need it. Haven't needed it. I needed rollover badly in April on Elance, but other than that I haven't run out of connects.

I don't think the averages are useful. Someone always bids the lowest, and someone else is way out there.

I've actually found that bidding my hourly rate is easier and it's less tempting to try to undercut others. 

I recently bid $1000 more than the highest bidder on a gig that was highly technical, so I knew I was one of the few who was qualified. Highest bid after mine was $500. Mine was $1500 with my typical "I'm awesome and you should hire me!"  I was rreeeeeally busy at the time, so I was throwing it out there. Guy came back and said my bid was the best and I was most qualified and hired me.  He's next week's paycheck. Smiley Happy

So, anyway, I say bid what you're worth and bid even when you're busy. You'll find that you won't even need the connects and won't care about some lowballer bidding $3.

Let's be honest here -- $3 bidder isn't really your competition if you got the proposal game down and you're qualified.

Only thing I really miss is seeing what bid won and an alert if I've worked or spoken to the customer already, so I know to avoid or not to bother. But I'll take a working message system over any of that any day.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS