🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Payed for Plus and didn't get 100 connects
Page options
c2ecacc7
Community Member

Payed for Plus and didn't get 100 connects

I just payed for a whole month of Plus. This is the first time I upgraded, therefore my billing cycle starts today, and I only got 97 connects instead of 100. It's not about the 3 missing connects, but I should be given 100 as that is what I payed for.
The chat support refers to a proration, which makes no sense in this case, as my billing period started today, and every single communication on Upwork is about 100 connects for the Plus plan . No proration is needed or justifiable in this case.

6 REPLIES 6
ArjayM

Hi Gergely,

I want to clarify that the Freelancer Plus membership includes 90 Connects; the other 10 are free from Upwork and the same as in the Basic plan. If you upgrade your account from Basic to Plus, your free Connects will be prorated. This means we'll allocate them based on time, specifically on how many days have passed during your billing cycle.

By prorating free Connects, we can be sure that you always get a fair amount, no matter when you make changes to your plan. I hope this clarifies.

~ Arjay
Upwork

This looks like a deceitful advertisement. I can't remember if, before this last change, UW advertised Plus plan as "get 90 connects"... I'm pretty sure it was advertised as "get 80 connects". Maybe someone remembers it differently? 

It clearly says: Including everything in Basic AND New: 100 connects total per month.

This is unclear. Either it is x AND y or total.

c2ecacc7
Community Member

Thanks Arjay, this makes it clearer.
However, I still think that the communication at the platform is terribly misleading in multiple cases (I agree with Natasa K, and see my pics attached): 
- In every occasion attached to my original post, the 100 is communicated in the context of the Plus plan. It turns out that 10 out of that 100 is part of the Basic plan. This means that Plus plan only gives the customer 90 connects at the moment, which you also acknowledged.
- As per the general market practice and also UW's communication the Plus plan includes the features of the Basic and adds extras on top of it. I attach an extra screenshot in support if this: it states that the Basic plan comes with 10 connects, while the Plus plan includes everything in basic and (meaning additionally) 100 connects. The message is clear both in wording and visually, the 100 connects are separated from the Basic plan and are related to the Plus plan. 

Therefore I still stand by the conclusion, that the advertisement of the Plus plan is misleading, maybe even deceitful in several instances.
I also state that according to the attached communications on the platform, all users should receive 100 connects for the Plus plan above the 10 connects of the Basic plan (may the latter be prorated or not). I insist that I receive the missing 10 connects. 

(Also, but this is just a sidenote, the chatbot as the first line of support never mentioned UW's distinction between free and charged connects among the 100, and that the free ones are to be prorated.)

It isnt a huge lie. Trick with "total" word. You are right, anyone understand that as 100 but not as 90(+10).

Another tricky AD here:

1.jpg

But a little truth still here: when Upwork added "boosting" - my earnings was dropped 10x more asap.

Hi Gergely,

I'm sorry if the message's wording seems confusing, but to clarify, it does state that your total Connects would be 100 on the new plan. This is also further explained in this article

That said, we appreciate your feedback and will surely share it with the team. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
c2ecacc7
Community Member

Hi Luiggi,

thank you for your answer. However, it doesn't reply to several facts mentioned previously.

The basis is that the user receives 10 connects, whether or not they pay for a plan.

Fact 1: the membership plans page (attached in my previous comment as plan comparison, https://www.upwork.com/nx/plans/membership/change-plan ) states that the Basic plan comes with 10 (total) connects, while the Plus plan includes everything in basic and 100 total connects.

You mentioned that the wording "does state that your total Connects would be 100 on the new plan". But there is only one way for this sentence to make any sense: if it means 10 + 100.

And means additionally. And means on top of the basic 10. Total means altogether, a sum of. A sum of 100.  10 plus a sum of 100 on top of it.

Visual separation of the plans and the very name of the plan (!) support this.

So the wording doesn't just seem confusing. Either it is misleading because it is adding something (10) to a total, which is already included in it or UW's business practice is unfair (at best) as many users systematically receive less than stated for their money.

Fact 2: Plus plan’s main product page (I attach these shots again, https://www.upwork.com/work/freelancerplus) states in the context of the Plus plan that subscribers receive 100 connects if they buy it. There are no words like "total" in these cases. There is no other context here, like the Basic plan.

In reality users only get 90 for the Plus, since they already have 10 with an other (free) plan (as acknowledged by UW). 
There should be either a fair wording of additional 90 connects for the Plus plan (in line with common sense and general market practice of online subscription models) or a sum of 110 connects should be given.

Fact 3 (new): There are no links to the page you mentioned / to other explanatory pages on the discussed pages. There are no details either (like a dropdown in the case of "customize your profile" on the membership plans page, or just a footnote as for the tax applicable).

The fact that there is an unlinked article somewhere describing the contradictory details doesn't change the above mentioned facts (1-2).

The the way the product (Plus plan) is crafted is not in line with the communication about it on the website. Therefore it is at least misleading. As it seems not to be just one wording mistake but it is consistently communicated like this throughout the primary sites, I have to assume that it is the consequence of a conciously unfair business decision on part of UW. Therefore I am considering taking legal action at the relevant authorities and/or to call attention of the public on social media.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members