Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for expenses.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 20

@Wilson E wrote:

But still have to wait the 5 days and the Upwork cut? I think so.

Yes, you do.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
12 of 20
Petra,

Thanks for the correction. I was retailing old information reported here.

Best,
Michael
petra_r
Community Guru
13 of 20

@Douglas Michael M wrote:
Petra,

The "expenses" option has been available for as long as I can remember (several years) but I don't have an open contract as a client at the moment so can not check if it was maybe recently removed.

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
14 of 20

@Petra R wrote:

@Douglas Michael M wrote:
Petra,

The "expenses" option has been available for as long as I can remember (several years) but I don't have an open contract as a client at the moment so can not check if it was maybe recently removed.

Out of curiousity, I just checked and you're both right Smiley Very Happy

You have to click on "Give Bonus" and then the "Expenses" option is nested in a drop down menu:

bonus.JPG

petra_r
Community Guru
15 of 20

Christy A wrote: I just checked and you're both right Smiley Very Happy

I like that Smiley Very Happy

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 20

re: "But still have to wait the 5 days and the Upwork cut?"

There is no chance that Upwork will entirely do away with a security hold to validate the funds.

Unfortunately, scammers and thieves would use Upwork to steal money from fraudulently-used credit card accounts if there was no security hold or funds verification.

elitegra
Community Leader
Wilson E Member Since: Aug 7, 2015
17 of 20

OK, I am not an expert in the field, but then I wonder how Elance managed to do it? Or how someone can transfer money using Paypal immediately, isn't that safety?

melissalwalker
Melissa W Member Since: Apr 27, 2016
18 of 20

Hello all, I hope this isn't a dead thread. I need a bit of advice.

One of my soon to be social media management clients is going to pay the cost of an upgrade to the Buffer program I use as a part of my content strategy. Prior to them coming on I did not need the expansion which is why I'm asking them to pay for it. As the upgrade covers a large range of additional accounts, it is to my benefit to keep this in my name, however. Because of this, I don't want the client to pay for their own Buffer and allow me access, for instance.

The client agrees and all is peachy. However, can a client make this magical one-time bonus/expense reimbursement payment while a milestone is still in progress? Being just after tax time I sorely want to accept funds from the client before making the purchase rather than be reimbursed over a week after starting it.

Any help is appreciated! 

joanbonjoc
Community Guru
Jo-An B Member Since: Aug 2, 2016
19 of 20

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for your message.

Your client can pay you a bonus anytime on a fixed-price contract. You may check this article here.

~ Jo-An

Untitled
jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
20 of 20

@Melissa W wrote:

Hello all, I hope this isn't a dead thread. I need a bit of advice.

One of my soon to be social media management clients is going to pay the cost of an upgrade to the Buffer program I use as a part of my content strategy. Prior to them coming on I did not need the expansion which is why I'm asking them to pay for it. As the upgrade covers a large range of additional accounts, it is to my benefit to keep this in my name, however. Because of this, I don't want the client to pay for their own Buffer and allow me access, for instance.

The client agrees and all is peachy. However, can a client make this magical one-time bonus/expense reimbursement payment while a milestone is still in progress? Being just after tax time I sorely want to accept funds from the client before making the purchase rather than be reimbursed over a week after starting it.

Any help is appreciated! 

If you're going to retain this software after the contract with this client is up, and possibly use it for other clients, then you need to pay for it yourself. You're a freelancer, not an employee, and therefore responsible for your own tools. You should be able to write off the expense.

If it's specialty software (a particular font, for example) that you will not have use for beyond this client relationship, then, yes, the client should pay for it, but they should also license it in their own name or business name and then purchase a license for you according to the software's EULA terms.

While, yes, it is possible for clients to pay for expenses through Upwork using the bonus function, it is to no one's advantage, as Upwork still takes fees out of that total. The client should make the purchase themselves and then give you access, should you choose to go this route.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS