🐈 Community
petra_r

Please exclude Payroll Employees from the "agency freelancer" group

This is most irritating.

I am not, never have been, never will be a member of any **Edited for Community Guidelines** agency. Yet I now show up as not meeting the client's preferences because "I am an agency freelancer."

I am not, of course, I have been employed through Upwork's Payroll system by my long term main client. That does NOT make me an agency freelancer in any way, shape, or form. As far as the payrolled contract is concerned, I am not even a freelancer, I'm an employee. And this should NOT affect the way my freelancing proposals are shown to clients and how I show up in searches.

I now get excluded from searches when clients (sensibly) look for non-agency freelancers, and get that horrible red thing when I apply. SURE, I can theoretically apply anyway. But that's not really the point...

😞

5 REPLIES 5
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Petra,

Let me follow up with the team about it and get back to you with more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork
lysis10

I've been a part of it since June last year and I wondered if this did anything but not sure. I still get invites and slammed when it's my turn but I get that red exclamation mark when I apply and they want an individual.

I would be interested too if I'm excluded from searches if they want individuals only.

Thanks for bringing this up Petra. 

I was onboarded recently and have been wondering the same thing (though I, like Jenn M, still have that crest and trough thing happening with my invites -- which has been par for the course since I started on Upwork).

aocumen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Petra, 

I checked Valeria's escalation and the team said that freelancers should normally be able to reset your default team back to "none" to appear as an independent freelancer. However, the option to do so is not currently available because of a bug. 

They are currently investigating the issue further and I apologise if it will take some time. Once we get updates from the team, we'll let you know. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Well now I'm confused. I keep reading that teams and agency members are two different things. When I apply, I'm given the choice to send a proposal as myself or as the agency. I thought we are considered agency members and teams are a different thing?

Learning Paths